The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Moisture/Condensation in headlamp assembly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moisture/Condensation in headlamp assembly
    Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

I'll have to look more closely on mine, maybe I have the same problem. A few months ago there was a Boxelder bug that snuck into my assembly, so apparently it's not just a hairline fracture somewhere...

So it turned up by mail a little over a week ago. It took me like 1 minute to replace it, and I haven't had condensation in it since ... But this could be a weather issue, so I'll have to watch it as time goes by...

But what I really wanted to tell was that the replacement lid costed less than $10, so I won't be making a big deal out of getting it under warranty, since they didn't bill me for the shipping and handling.
2003 W8
TIP - 5 speed
Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 11:41
Well, I just got off the phone with the company that handles my warranty. Apparently they only cover "mechanical" parts only. After I got off the phone with them, I thought to myself, the headlight is mechanical...auto-leveling motors, HELLO?!?! So I guess instead of looking for wheels, I'll be looking for a new headlamp assembly. I'm going back to my dealership to talk to them about it since I've had this problem since day 1 when I bought it.

I'm really not looking forward to dropping $500 on a headlight...
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 11:41
Hmm...maybe the time to look into angel eyes...
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 07:20
Hmm, guess it wasn't the back cover then... Or are you just looking for at excuse to get those angel-eyes?
2003 W8
TIP - 5 speed
Black
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 14:40
k so the back of the lights has two vent tubes in it. but they are in the back, so it wouldnt be the back. as for the front of it i belive that it is sealed. so i dont think replacing the back covers will change any thing. what i would do is remove the large front lens sheild and reseal it. you would have to remove the light to do this. are you all in areas of alot of moisture. snow?..east maybe. i havent had any problems on the west coast.
W8 6speed 03 Maus

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 00:16
Originally posted by spinner

Hmm, guess it wasn't the back cover then... Or are you just looking for at excuse to get those angel-eyes?

Both, good sir.

Actually, I haven't checked the back covers. I should do that when I check the battery compartment to make sure there's no clogging (interior leak about a month ago, nothing since then)...
straightw8 View Drop Down

Quote straightw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 00:12
this is an old thread, but i found the cause in mine when I changed my HID's.

There's a cup covering the back of the HID sockets (which are a PITA to reinstall, BTW...) that can crack near the flanges, probably from a tech forcing the headlamp assemblies back into or out of place.

I could tell immediately (after experiencing it myself) that someone had difficulty with the assemblies the last time the bumper was taken off for an A/C compressor changeout. the cup is held on by 3 torx screws, and one of the flanges was cracked off. the Foam seal was then just flapping in the breeze, and thus water/moisture intrusion.

While I have my engine out for the cam adj. debacle, I told them to repair the damn cup. "GRATIS!"

they obliged.

Edited by straightw8 - 25-Jun-2008 at 06:15
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 15:16
My Passenger side has moisture as well..looks like crap.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12