Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Auto Tran & Torque Convertor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote st_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Tran & Torque Convertor
    Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 23:16
Hi
I just bought a 2003 W8 sedan with the tiptronic transmission. When I got it the check engine light was on. I bought it from a private party with 51,000 miles on it, and it ran great dispite the light being on. The dealer said it was the torque convertor and replaced it under warranty. My question is, now when the car downshifts from 3rd or 2nd to 1st you can feel a noticeable "lurch" or rough downshift. It's not a major problem, and I don't really know if it did it before the torque convertor was replaced. Is it common in the W8? Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

-Scott
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 17:04
Hard to say, since one man's lurch is another man's lunge. My '03 torque converter gave out at 59K, and was replaced under warranty. No problems since, but, in answer to your concern, these cars do appear to have a noticeable downshift - espcially if you have not freed up the intake (K&N panel filter) and exhaust (Magnaflow straight thru's to replace the 2 rear mufflers). Before I freed mine up I got what I call "the motor boat" effect; let off the gas and you get pulled forward in your seat by the engine choking itself down. None of that now, but the downshifts are still noticeable. Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
st_w8 View Drop Down

Quote st_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 18:32
Yea, it's not severe, but definately a noticeable downshift similar to a lurch. I was just concerned that it might be the transmission starting to fail and would want to get it replaced before the warranty runs out. When you use the tiptronic does yours shift immediately while the engine is at a high rpm or is there a bit of a lag before it drops into gear as the engine revs up? Just curious.

Thanks!
-Scott
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 19:47
I've used the TIP, just for the experience of it. Since it doesn't compare to the manual exotics I've had, I don't really bother with it. But, yes, there is a bit of a lag. Supposedly, there is a transmission flash you can get done at the dealer, putting it into a "sport mode". I realize I tend to be on the conservative side, having spent more money on car repairs, etc., than I care to remember. Freeing up the intake and exhaust gave me the performance I want without that "Oh God, what have I done?" feeling.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
 Post Reply Post Reply