Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedHeadlight lens question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight lens question
    Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 22:14
Is there a way that I can take the lens off the headlight so I can get inside of it and clean it?? One side is very cloudy and the other side has a few bugs in it...literally.

I also noticed a fly in my tail light...
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 00:11
On lesser Passats, I think people heat the assembly with a blow drier, and pry the pieces apart.
Then they have to be reglued afterwards.
I used PlastiX on my headlights yesterday - no miracles, but for 5 bucks, and a little elbow grease, the results were pretty good.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 00:47
So they're GLUED? Damn...

On a side note, I'm not sure why I started this thread in the ELECTRONICS forum...

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 10:20
Will this work? Reading the part about only needing a power drill and water scares me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Headlight-Lens-Cleaner-Volkswagen-gt-VW-JETTA-Passat_W0QQitemZ220126637185QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50450QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by SirRangeALot - 03-Jul-2007 at 16:21
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 10:59
The drill is just to attach the buffer and polisher pads too. Higher rpms, and a lot less work on the wrist and elbow.

Try Maguires PlastX and the mini Powerball, or one without the other, both work well on their own for removing the cloudiness.

As far as the bugs in the lenses, if you were prepared to take them apart, then I assume you would already be removing them from the car. If that is the case then just dump them over and give'em a shake. If that does not take care of it then try a shop-vac in one of the openings while plugging the others, that should create a good bit of suction on the inside. If still not working, maybe give a shot of compressed air in there to loosen them up, then repeat with the dumping and vac.

Edited by dubya_eight - 03-Jul-2007 at 19:03
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
------------------------------
Vincere View Drop Down

Quote Vincere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 12:06
I had a huge bug inside one of my front headlights that I vacuumed out without removing the headlight from the car. It helped to use compressed air blowing in while I was vacuuming out throught the bulb cover.
2003 W8 Tip Wagon

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 21:28
Originally posted by Vincere

I had a huge bug inside one of my front headlights that I vacuumed out without removing the headlight from the car. It helped to use compressed air blowing in while I was vacuuming out throughout the bulb cover.

Cool! Where did you put the end of the vacuum to suck the bug out? Is there an opening somewhere or did you just do it through the back opening?
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 22:43
I think there is Wolfgang kit that is sold by autogeeks.com - I'm still thinking about that one.
Blue Spirit/ Black

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 23:05
^^So, how is that supposed to clean the inside of the assembly...?

And with that other eBay kit, when you drill a hole into the assembly, how are you supposed to re-seal it??

http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html

Edited by SirRangeALot - 04-Jul-2007 at 05:06
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 10:13
Sorry - I was thinking more about the outside.
If you are getting condensation and insectoid intruders, you need ot clean it all out and seal it up again properly.
Audiworld.com might have a DIY on taking headlights apart and then sealing them again.
Blue Spirit/ Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>