Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Removing the Pancake Muffler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zeusdog34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing the Pancake Muffler
    Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 17:25
Im getting ready to do the Magnaflow exhaust(#14815)or might use the (#14255) and just weld the stock tips on but was wondering if I should just remove the dual in/out pancake muffler and replace with welded straight pipe? Basically im wondering if it will be too loud?? I want to get the most from this upgrade..Oh and what is the size 2.25????thanks

Edited by zeusdog34 - 06-Jul-2007 at 02:08
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2007 at 14:49
I very seriously recommend against just straight pipes, for a couple of reasons. Immediately, you will find your brain liquified and dripping from your nose and ears; then, you will find serious problems with your heads (engine) because the exhaust pressure is no longer equalized. Magnaflow makes several 2 in - 2 out mufflers that have a built in X pipe function; look for these on their website. Save yourself physical and budgetary agony. Use the Magnaflow.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
zeusdog34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote zeusdog34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 16:50
marco,thanks for the pics..Im going with a similar setup as you but will not be putting dual mufflers at the rear but will be using a Dynomax Ultra Flo X muffler in place of the pancake muffler that has a built in x pipe to help with correct pressure and sound plus the performance gains should be noticable with a flow chart of 1200cfm..And will weld the tips on the new pipe I will take pics of it and video as well..Now just waiting a week

http://www.dynomax.com/products/ufx.asp
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 09:03
Are you planning on using the Dynomax with the Magnaflow, or are you doing away with your 3 stock mufflers for the single Dynomax?
zeusdog34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote zeusdog34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 09:43
Originally posted by IndyW8

Are you planning on using the Dynomax with the Magnaflow, or are you doing away with your 3 stock mufflers for the single Dynomax?

Just using the Dynomax Ultra Flo X muffler,it has dual in and out..My setup will be a lot like Karlmarx setup but instead of using dual bullet mufflers I will be using the one..

Edited by zeusdog34 - 10-Jul-2007 at 15:44
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 11:31
Good luck! I have a feeling it will be LOUD.   
zeusdog34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote zeusdog34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 11:44
Originally posted by IndyW8

Good luck! I have a feeling it will be LOUD.   

If it is than I will put two more dynomax mufflers where the factories were..It should be quieter than Karlmarx setup,have you checked out his setup
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 16:48
Yeah, I saw/heard it. The sound is cool, but I would get tired of it. Plus, I think he might run into problems down the road because of unequal backpressure. The X muffler is a better option - or just an X or H pipe with 2 mufflers at the tailpipes.

Have you seen VWGUYFOREVER's set up on PassatWorld? He used 3 Magnaflows and upsized to 2.5" pipe.
zeusdog34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote zeusdog34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 17:21
yes I have seen his, Marco's is also very similar.. The reason I decided to go with just the one muffler was because of the design, plus I want the most performance gaines as possible so between the flow and almost the 40lbs in weight that will be shed,it should be a real nice setup with decent performance gaines, also the Dynomax Ultra Flo X should be quieter . The muffler shop Im going to also suggested this setup and he has done other exhaust for me in the past.Like I said if it is too loud then I will bolt up to more dynomax mufflers..And thanks for all your input..

Edited by zeusdog34 - 10-Jul-2007 at 23:23
W84Mo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W84Mo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 00:48
Removing the resonator and replacing with thru pipe will increase the decibel level and likely will allow the resonance to come through the floor pan.

Make sure your shop can draw the pipes together instead of butt welding the pipes. The cheaper faster way is to butt weld but you will not have a smooth pathway for the exhaust. If the exhaust pipe diameters are not properly aligned, your weld junctions can catch the exhaust flow where heat will build up. Over time the joint will discolor, fatigue and eventually give out.
Its fundamental metallurgy. Hopefully the shop has a AWS certified welder. If you look at the oem W8 setup, there are no butt welds, all joints are draw fitted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>