The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sokolx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil change
    Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 21:51
where is oil filter located in 2003 VW W8 4.0?
i have W8 for 4 weeks and i don't know too much about this car pleas helppppppp me.
i need to change brake pads and rotars too-i have some info about pads from VWvortex but i need some directions how to do this.
thank you
sokol
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2006 at 23:43
As you look at the front of the car, it is on the far left side of the engine. Opposite side from the drain plug. Everything is kept out of sight by the plastic belly pan.

Edited by squish - 13-Dec-2006 at 05:44
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 11:23
Do yourself a HUGE and longlasting favor. For your oil changes, get a suction device - such as sold by Griot's Garage or J.C. Whitney that will allow you to first suction out >6 quarts through the oil filler opening. You will then be dealing with only about 3 quarts when you open the pan. Also, get a Fumoto valve - which replaces your oil pan plug. Once installed, you have only to slip a neoprene hose over it and turn the handle; the hose delivers the oil to your drain pan. You will never have to buy crush washers or risk stripping the pan threads. I use only AMSOIL European 5-40 full synthetic; it is FAR smoother than the Valvoline Synpower I was using and you will increase MPG while reducing engine noise. You can sign on (for $20.00 annually) at AMSOIL and get this oil delivered to your door for only pennies more than buying lesser quality stuff off the shelf. You're probably best off getting filters at the dealer. Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 13:00
I still do it the old fashioned way. While the oil is draining I check the fluid levels, pet the dog, and yell at my kids.

One note make sure you let the filter cannister drain for a long time before removing it as it holds a lot of oil.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 14:24
There was a DIY W8 oil change post at Vortex:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2159791

The caution is to make sure you get the right bolt as the oil drain - otherwise you'll empty the tranny fluid, and it's a real pain to refill.

FYI, filter part numbers:
UPC/OEM: 765 809 512 122
Mann: HU932/6n
Bosch: 72197
(It's the same filter that the VR6 uses.)

Edited by fitzski - 13-Dec-2006 at 20:24
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 15:50
Do you guys actually change the plug and/or washer after each change? I bought a new plug, but I ended up putting the same one back on each time. It's still in perfect shape - no leaks.
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 16:10
Since I installed the Fumoto valve, I have no plug; the valve goes in in place of the plug. I got the one with the nipple end, so the neoprene tube slips right on. Simply depress and move the fail-safe lever and everything drains. www.Fumoto.com
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 17:08
I'll look later - someone does 93.xx for 10 filter cartridges with gaskets...
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 03:16
Originally posted by B5crazy

I still do it the old fashioned way. While the oil is draining I check the fluid levels, pet the dog, and yell at my kids.

LOL
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2007 at 17:56
Changed my oil today. What a PITA when it's 22*F.

Used 0W40 M1. At Advance Auto it's $5.98/quart. How much is the Amsoil 5W40/quart?

Edited by B5crazy - 28-Jan-2007 at 23:57
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>