The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

oil change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil change
    Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 08:03
Dude! There's a comprehensive DIY on this site, in the same forum you're looking at!

HOW-TO: Oil & Filter Change (Pictures!)
http://www.spinner.dk/w8/forum_posts.asp?TID=58
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by B5crazy

Changed my oil today. What a PITA when it's 22*F.
Used 0W40 M1. At Advance Auto it's $5.98/quart. How much is the Amsoil 5W40/quart?

Hey Tom,

I've no clue on the prices, but as it seems, you had a funny weekend?!

But seriously, my first profession was car mechanic and in the first years of my professional life I worked on lorries. So I can feel with you when I remember some days in winter time repairing lorries directly at the highways. Brrrr....
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:33
Hey I did that !!

Thats why I gave up the motor trade and went to Uni ...

Sunday afternoon, 6 below, blowing a gale so -15 with windchill, on the coast so getting battered with seaspray / sand and anything else the wind wants to chuck, trying to get a jack under a bogged down vehicle with a flat tyre, I still remember the afternoon I said to hell with this ....
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 20:25
B5Crazy Amsoil is 7.60 each quartz on the online sotre I always order the box is 106 dollars with shipping and handling to florida. I haven't seen a store selling them around here they say is the best it is. They have oil for anything or evrything.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 20:26
I want you to use it and let me know the difference between them I hurt that mobil 1 suppost to be good but I don't know if it is better than amsoil.
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2007 at 13:27
7.60 is too high for AMSOIL; you can get it for dealer price (about 6.50 delivered)if you just spend $20 to sign on as a preferred customer. You also get dealer discounts on all their other products that way.
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 20:40
Kool but the thing is what other produts can I use for my W8????? and are they really that good I know the oil is the best outthere but I don't know about the other stuff.
Thanks Marco for the head up anyways.
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:00
What is the OCI for the W8, every 5000 miles like the other Passats or 10,000 miles? Also, capacity is exactly 9 quarts or 9.4 quarts like someone posted somewhere?
TIA
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:36
Originally posted by fitzski

HOW-TO: Oil & Filter Change (Pictures!)
http://www.spinner.dk/w8/forum_posts.asp?TID=58

Link seems to have changed slightly:
http://www.mjg.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=58

The interval is 10,000 miles but many prefer to change it closer to 5,000 miles. Oil is less expensive than engine repairs
Capacity is 9 quarts, but the last time I change mine I followed the suggested procedure in fitzki's how to and checked the level after 8 quarts.

edit: updated url link

Edited by rustybronco - 05-Dec-2007 at 18:20
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 14:08
Thanks rustybronco, I'm new on this W8. (Used to deal with 1.8t and V6 engine)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>