The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8, take two?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FunkBassMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8, take two?
    Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 16:57
My heart says yes, my head says no. I sold my '02 W8 a couple of months ago before making the move from Canada to the states (Oklahoma City). Then, I made an ultimate bonehead move and in haste bought an 04 G35 down here. (Hey, at least I got a killer deal on it). The acceleration and handling are top-notch, but the interior is a POS and the ride-comfort is awful especially on the patchwork quilts they call roads down here in OKC. Anyway, I can go into lengthy detail, but in a nutshell, I miss the W8 a helluva lot and am now considering trading in the G35 for my second W8. Is this a smart move? I don't know. Financially speaking, probably not. I had my eye on the '03 variant down at Hewlitt VW in Georgetown, TX (which one of you had informed me about a while back). It had been sitting there collecting dust for many, many months, and I was planning on popping down on the last day of the month to go for the kill and grab it, but it sold right before I got the chance. Damn. Now I've got my eye on an '03 sedan (I prefer sedans anyway) in Arkansas, but it's not a CPO and that worries me. Gonna have to check the vehicle history to make sure there's nothing in there to possibly invalidate a future extended warranty. I'm eager to hear some ideas, comments, suggestions (whether serious or humorous) from the experts (you guys)?
FunkBassMan View Drop Down

Quote FunkBassMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 17:03
don't know why i ended that last sentence with a question mark. (the OCD in me forces me to acknowledge that). Peace.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 18:46
Donahoo(?) in AL usually has a W8, or 2.
Last one I saw (ebay) was an 03, Bluespirit with the sports package and full Votex kit.
I bought my W8 from an Infiniti dealer, and got a NESNA (Nissan/ Infiniti) extended warranty - good for 60,000 miles or 5 years from the day I bought it.
From the CPOed W8s I shopped, I wasn't impressed.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
kastegir View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kastegir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 19:11
I feel your pain. It took me about 3 months to decide on and find my W8. In the process I looked at the G35x and ultimately decided against it. The W8 is a far superior car (IMHO). I was able to get a CPO warranty on mine, which made all the difference in the world. That said, I talked to Warranty Direct, and they offer a pretty comprehensive plan if the car has less than 75k miles on it. Over 75k miles, they only offer a 1 year/12k mile warranty. Under 75k, they offer 2 year/24k. I followed several on eBay before buying mine locally, and the prices looked pretty good. I've read good things about Donohoo as well.
2003 W8 Tip sedan - locked in sports mode
Indigo Blue Pearl/Gray

Quote FunkBassMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 22:53
Here's the one I'm looking at.

2003 W8 Sedan

Edited by FunkBassMan - 07-Aug-2007 at 05:20

Quote FunkBassMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 23:00
Ok. The hyperlink's not working. Here's the URL.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=226357978&dealer_id=1095148&car_year=2003&num_records=25&model=PASS&make2=&start_year=2002&engine=&keywordsrep=119056&keywordsfyc=__dzg,__&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=&first_record=26&make=VOLKS&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=60000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=73112&advanced=y&end_year=2004&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=18000&cardist=199
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 23:04
Originally posted by FunkBassMan

Here's the one I'm looking at.

2003 W8 Sedan

You had a double "http://" in the link... here it is.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Aug-2007 at 23:18
Looks like it could be a pretty one. The pictures are too low-res to see details like condition of the headlight lenses or such.

I don't think anyone here is going to try and talk you out of getting another W8!

If I had any advice to give, I'd say get as much info on the history of the car as possible - track down the dealership that the PO used and get the history on it. If it's been in for the dreaded cam adjuster housing replacement, see if they replaced both rather than only the bad one... if they didn't, it's not a huge financial risk for you if you buy a warranty, but worth some peace of mind at least. Check for the torque converter repair, too.

IMHO, there's nothing special about a CPO car - the price is usually higher, and there's less room to negotiate. The two major W8-unique problems will not be caught by the CPO inspection if they haven't happened yet. I was very happy buying mine from a non-VW dealer.

Regarding the chuckhole derby in OKC - I was just up there three weeks ago with my W8 for shoulder surgery and we drove all over town revisiting old haunts. The sport suspension isn't very forgiving. Not intolerable by any means, but something to consider.

Edited by VWAffe - 07-Aug-2007 at 05:18
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT

Quote FunkBassMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 00:03
Chuckhole derby.    Nice.

Thanks for the advice. That's some good stuff.

I'm ok with the ride being a bit stiff, as long as it also feels tight and taut over bumps. I guess they should go hand-in-hand. (In my opinion) my '04 G35 somehow manages to feel stiff, and yet the car feels like it gets bounced around by bumps. Go figure. Comparatively, my W8 felt like a tank.

And then there's the frustration of all the cheap plastic rattling and creaking in the G in addition to the most annoying high-frequency whistling windnoise. I guess it takes a couple of months to really notice all the flaws in a car.

My W8 had a few rattles and creaks (mainly the front seatbelts rubbing against the leather) and a little gurgling sound from the AC, but they weren't exactly the sound (and constant reminder) of cheap, skimpy materials. In a way, the W8 noises were kind of endearing, sort of like... "well, yes... she's not perfect, but I forgive her."

Edited by FunkBassMan - 07-Aug-2007 at 06:03
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 08:34
That was me that told you about the one at Hewlitt.

That one did finally sell in late June early July. From the looks of it, it was an employee that bought it. Not sure who, but it is always parked in the street with the other employee cars when I go by. Thats a helluva drive from OKC to Georgtown, but they would have certainly been ready to move that car.

It's just a matter of keeping the eyes peeled. If you can find one I would go CPO and get an extended aftermarket warranty. Not going CPO is passing up on free money. I think there is like a $200 "fee" to certify a car that gets passed on to you. That ammount is small potatoes compared to a $1000-$2000 for the warranty. So why not get both if you can.

I did a CYA and did both at time of purchase.

I can keep my eyes open around here for any others. When you're really ready to pull the trigger, call Andy Boynton at Charles Maund VW (800-440-1999.) He's the Used Car Manager there, good guy and no BS. He'll go out and find exactly what your looking for.
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
------------------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>