Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedCracked Windshield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yoshie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Windshield
    Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:24
Do any of you have any ideas on the cost to replace the front windshield? Today I was driving on the e way and a rock hit my windshield underneath the wiper blade...about 2 min later I hear a crack and all of a sudden I have a ten inch crack on my passenger side. I will inquire about getting it fixed but I am not so optimistic. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
2003 W8 Sedan
Alpine HU, Adire Sub, Cadence Amp
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:27
Your insurance should cover it, most will be $0 out of pocket. Whether that is a stone chip repair, or full replacement. You may have to front the cash, and submit it for reimbursement, but it should be covered. I'd start there.

Edited by dubya_eight - 14-Aug-2007 at 22:28
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
------------------------------
yoshie1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yoshie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 16:36
I am leaning towards not claiming insurance since I have something on my record that they haven't found out about yet (would cause my rates to double). That is why I am looking at replacing myself if it is needed.
2003 W8 Sedan
Alpine HU, Adire Sub, Cadence Amp
pistik View Drop Down

Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 17:31
I have a cracked windshield and I live with it for now already for 6 months.
I did some research on quotes and there is very little difference between windshield with rain sensor or without.
In Passats the rain sensor stays in mirror assembly so the difference is just a different footprint for mirror assembly.
The best quote I got was $285CAD for windshield for rain sensor and $275CAD for windshield without rain sensor.

Some other car manufacturers embedd the rain sensor in to windshield itself so that is why the windsield with the rain sensor is twice the money...
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 10:09
Cost me about $290 to get mine done at the dealer. I wanted OEM glass. Of course they sub out the actual glass work, but I got my money's worth. The first time they did it, the job was sloppy and the glass wasn't aligned right, so the glass shop had to eat the cost for a new windshield and re-do it.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
jeffsu350 View Drop Down

Quote jeffsu350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 10:04
Guys, get OEM glass. You can get cheaper glass, but sometimes it is not exactly to OEM specs.

This does not matter for anything else unless you are in an accident.

The passenger airbag rides up the glass. Basically, instead of hitting the passenger in the face with the airbag, it hits the glass and then expands out.

If the glass is not to OEM specs, it might shatter or the new glue seal might break away with would cause the airbag not to be in the correct place and your passenger now has no airbag.

I think its worth the extra money if you have to pay it
sledgeharvy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2007 at 13:17
I just got mine replaced as well about 3 weeks ago.. it came out to $255.. I when I called around I kept telling everyone "yadayada" is trying to charge me $270 so can you beat that??.. and finally one place said yes.. everyone else said no.. or just hung up.. ha ha.. so when I got a yes.. I jumped on it..
 Post Reply Post Reply