Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Manual Trans Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual Trans Swap
    Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 04:00
Hello all,

I've been day dreaming about having the 6 spd manual in my car. Curious as to what everyone else thinks about finding the parts to do it as well as the labor to get it done. Has anyone else done a manual trans conversion on a W8?

Nothing sounds like a W8...
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2014 at 20:46
I may be mistaking, I read somewhere that the motor housing for the transmission on the W8 are different between automatic and MT. Anybody can confirm that whether this is true or false? In other words that the engines that comes with automatic transmission can only fits automatic transmission.
JBMXER2003 View Drop Down

Quote JBMXER2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2014 at 20:20
I think that reference is to the bell subassembly that bolts directly to the block. I believe the one for the automatic and for the manual would be different.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2014 at 21:46
Originally posted by JBMXER2003

I think that reference is to the bell subassembly that bolts directly to the block. I believe the one for the automatic and for the manual would be different.

Well dang. There goes that idea. :/
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2014 at 22:11
Probably just better off buying a 6 speed one. There's enough of them around and the time and money to swap one wouldn't make sense to me. You'd have to mess with getting the right clutch and brake pedal, running clutch lines, getting the shifter in place, swapping clusters to the correct ones, either swapping or recoding the ECU. Think the rear diff might be geared differently and not sure if the drive shafts would have to be swapped out. Think the front axles for sure would need to be changed. The cost to make it factory correct would probably offset the cost of just finding a stock 6 speed.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 02:13
I can confirm that the housings are different. When the dealer swapped my new engine into my W8 it was for an Automatic. They told me they had to order a special tool from VW just to take it apart and put my housing on the new engine.
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2014 at 00:58
Load of nonsense. All the engines are the same and either box fits. I've an original manual car and have put 3 auto box engines in mine and am about to put my 4th auto box engine in it
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2014 at 05:13
Originally posted by dmcdmc

Load of nonsense. All the engines are the same and either box fits. I've an original manual car and have put 3 auto box engines in mine and am about to put my 4th auto box engine in it

Usually people are going the other way around, lol. Why automatics? Just curious.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2014 at 06:24
I think he's saying his car is a manual, and he's put 3 engines in it that came from automatic cars. So he put an engine originally from an automatic into his manual car with no problems, so they must be the same.

Edited by srdavis872 - 08-Feb-2014 at 06:24
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2014 at 22:41
Originally posted by srdavis872

I think he's saying his car is a manual, and he's put 3 engines in it that came from automatic cars. So he put an engine originally from an automatic into his manual car with no problems, so they must be the same.

Yeh you called it right. First engine did 155k, 2nd lasted first start up, 3rd was a 48k engine that lasted about 7k, 4th was a 91k engine and did 5k before the timing went, rebuilt that and within 1k the bottom end went......5th engine about to go in!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>