Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Microswitch/Doorlatch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microswitch/Doorlatch
    Posted: 11-Mar-2014 at 17:58
I am not sure if this post should be in Electronics or Interior or Exterior because it is technically related to all three lol

My car does not recognize that I have opened my drivers door but it recognizes if I open any other door. (Lights go on and door ajar warning on dash) So I am guessing that the microswitch in drivers door latch is malfunctioning/not functioning.

I am hoping that there is just a build up of crud covering the switch which is not allowing it to recognize the door position. However, more likely it is faulty and needs to be replaced. Since I don't have the money for a new latch right now I am hoping to swap the latch from the back door to the front door.

Before I go and start ripping apart my car, will this work? i.e. is there any reason that this should not work? Feedback is greatly appreciated.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2014 at 19:23
Hey, it may just be sticky, mine did that sometimes. Get some lithium spray grease and shoot all over it.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2014 at 19:28
That is what I am praying for. I always like to hope for the best but plan for the worst.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Mr.Fisher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Mr.Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2014 at 03:02
Mine comes and goes. The driver side door gave up locking itself all winter, wouldn't lock using the switch or once I started rolling.

Now, it's back to normal function again.

Of course this just means the gremlin has moved elsewhere: my driver side headlight (low beam) won't ignite.

2003 W8 Variant
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2014 at 14:11
I'm 99% sure you'll find that the rear and front drivers' side latches are different. I took my entire door apart last spring trying to solve exactly the problem you're describing. I got the latch out of the car, took it apart and discovered that the one microswitch I needed to replace was the un-replaceable one.

In the end, I bought a replacement latch ($160) and am awaiting warmer weather to replace it.

The ultimate guide to this job is here, with lots of helpful photos. Read the comments as well, they have several good tips in them.

Passat door latch repair instructions
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2014 at 14:12
BTW you'll need an M8 triple-square (a.k.a. "spline") tool to get the the mechanical portion of the latch out.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2014 at 18:59
I've done the microswitch repair on my Passat. It's a pain in the ass - the tolerances involved in setting the microswitch are very tight (no more than 1 mm), replacement switches aren't a perfect match with the mounting points you drill through to remove the old switch... just a headache. Granted, I did mine in the middle of the winter and was extra PO'd about my freezing fingers and reluctant plastic parts... unless money is a major issue, just buy a new latch.

Replacement of the latch assembly is straightforward. Some pics and info here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=77648

I should add... while the microswitch itself is the most common fault (the trigger plunger literally wears out and effectively falls out of the tight tolerance I mention), a bad/broken solder joint on the PCB is not uncommon, and obviously the microswitch alone can't fix that. If you're game, you can reflow the solder and fix that to... Or you can JUST BUY A NEW LATCH.   

Edited by fitzski - 04-Apr-2014 at 19:03
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2014 at 22:43
I just sprayed my faulty one (pass side) with WD40 since my driver's side front door was squeaking. Hoping this helps otherwise I'm just going to get it replaced.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2014 at 20:23
Did you guys buy OEM latches or after market?
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2015 at 23:40
I need to replace the micro-switch in driver door to :)
No chime when door is open when driving lights are on
No dome when door is open
Car locks itself after 30 sec or so, unless I open another door
Seat memory wont work
Maybe something to do with the solar sun roof not working (doesnt know when you get out of the car) and maybe the rear sensors too?
I have ordered a switch from RC components and some 1mm x 6mm self adhesive felt. To stop squeaks from the door card :)
Wish me luck :)   

Edited by SeaHunt - 17-Aug-2015 at 23:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>