The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Members > USA - East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Ken's Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Poll Question: Is the Car Worth the Money?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [90,91%]
0 [0,00%]
1 [9,09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ken's Car
    Posted: 02-Apr-2014 at 17:57
Remember that the folks that write these value guides have never driven a W8 and have no idea how fun it is to drive. You have to put a value on that and the rarity of the car too.

When I bought mine I had five million people on VWVortex telling me not to get a W8 and only srdavis telling me to get it. I took a chance and am so glad that I did, I've drive many cars and this is by far the best one I have ever had in my life.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 13:48
Originally posted by KenBIII

I am confused as to how this car can be so expensive to own. Other than the engine it shouldn't be that different than the V6 4Motion, right? What causes this car to be "Lambo or Ferrari" expensive? I have no problem putting money in the car but I don't have that much so I want to make sure I have the $$$ to put into it in order to make it worth owning.

Most of the ancilliary parts are unique to the w8 and given it's limited production run (niche market) there aren't the same number of 3rd party parts around, which means you need to pay dealer prices for spares. 3200 GBP excluding vat and fitting for a gearbox from vw for example, radiators around 400 GBP each.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 14:26
Originally posted by RobG

I am confused as to how this car can be so expensive to own. Other than the engine it shouldn't be that different than the V6 4Motion, right? What causes this car to be "Lambo or Ferrari" expensive? I have no problem putting money in the car but I don't have that much so I want to make sure I have the $$$ to put into it in order to make it worth owning.

Most of the ancilliary parts are unique to the w8 and given it's limited production run (niche market) there aren't the same number of 3rd party parts around, which means you need to pay dealer prices for spares. 3200 GBP excluding vat and fitting for a gearbox from vw for example, radiators around 400 GBP each.

Thank you for the clarification. So the 4 year extended warranty I purchased will be paying for itself then if I decide to keep the car lol

Edited by KenBIII - 03-Apr-2014 at 16:45
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 16:48

Thank you for the clarification. So the 4 year extended warranty I purchased will be paying for itself then.

Not only are three a number of unique W8 parts, but expertise on these engines is also somewhat hard to come by. For example, the number of people who actually know the best solution for the cam adjuster problems is quite small. Additionally, any work in the engine bay is often complicated by access problems due to the way the engine is shoe-horned into the bay.

Also, be sure to follow the recommendations regarding oil changes as they can help you avoid the cam adjuster problem, among others.

The extended warranty is likely to be very beneficial over the long haul.
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 17:08
Originally posted by long_w8

Thank you for the clarification. So the 4 year extended warranty I purchased will be paying for itself then.

Not only are three a number of unique W8 parts, but expertise on these engines is also somewhat hard to come by. For example, the number of people who actually know the best solution for the cam adjuster problems is quite small. Additionally, any work in the engine bay is often complicated by access problems due to the way the engine is shoe-horned into the bay.

Also, be sure to follow the recommendations regarding oil changes as they can help you avoid the cam adjuster problem, among others.

The extended warranty is likely to be very beneficial over the long haul.

Good to know. Yea I couldn't pass up a 4 year / 70,000 mile warranty on the car for only 2,300.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 21:03
double post, please ignore

Edited by KenBIII - 03-Apr-2014 at 21:30
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2014 at 21:29
I decided to keep the car and spend the extra money on it. I couldn't find another car that even came close to comparing. I might have over paid but I feel the quality will make up for it in the long run. Plus I just couldn't let the car get sold again and end up being used for parts.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2014 at 08:07
look at it this way .. the car you now own is one of 40,000 world wide .. and only one of 5500 in the USA ... and if oyu have a manual then you have one of 550 in this country .. and if that manual is a stationwagon then you have one of 36 in this country .. .. that should help you sleep at night .. also once it is up and running go out to the freeway and floor it and hold on till 100-120mph and then just let up a bit and cruse at the 100-120mph area and relax and feel the car and how she is just caressing you and giving you everything you would ever want
poop
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2014 at 17:03
Originally posted by logan

look at it this way .. the car you now own is one of 40,000 world wide .. and only one of 5500 in the USA ... and if oyu have a manual then you have one of 550 in this country .. and if that manual is a stationwagon then you have one of 36 in this country .. .. that should help you sleep at night .. also once it is up and running go out to the freeway and floor it and hold on till 100-120mph and then just let up a bit and cruse at the 100-120mph area and relax and feel the car and how she is just caressing you and giving you everything you would ever want
W8-JHOLE
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2014 at 22:54

As many of you may know I have been fighting with the dealer about my newly purchased 2003 Passat 4Motion W8 with roughly 76,000 miles. The issue is that the torque converter is shot and needs replacing.

I am trying to figure out if the car is worth putting money into it or if I should cut my loses and run away from it.

I paid $8,900 for it and the additional repairs are estimated at $4,200 but I would only be paying around $1,700 for the repairs. So my total cost for the car would be $10,600.

What are your opinions?

I'm assuming you're getting these prices from a dealer. Find yourself a reputable independent mechanic that specializes in German cars. You'll save yourself a boatload of headaches and cash imo. This is my second W8 and plan on keeping it no matter the cost. I've owned several other VAG's since I sold my first W8 about 5 years ago and came back to another W8 simply because nothing compares. It's a void you will never fill.

And do yourself a favor? Personal advice from me since I did the same thing: don't worry about every single thing that could *potentially* happen. You will shave years off your life and lose sleep if you constantly wonder "what if." If you can't shake that, then I would suggest finding something else.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>