The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Gas smell after fill up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas smell after fill up
    Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 16:11
The last two times I have filled up (admittedly, topping off) I have gotten very strong gas odors in my garage. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the filler neck is especially fragile. I've just had my car smog tested, including the gas cap, and everything is fine. I also get no CELs. However, I'm wondering if there's a leak in my filler tube. Anyone have any experience with that? Thanks, Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 01:38
None here Marco, a lot of other things going on with my car, but no gas smell.

I hope you get the problem sorted out.
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 08:44
Thanks for the reply, Stymie. I looked at my Bentley manual in hopes of finding an easy way to inspect the filler assembly. The diagram indicates that device is similar in structure to an oil refinery. And, lacking the Jaws of Life, I would be hard pressed to reach it. Gone are the days of the screw off cap, tube, and tank.

I guess I'll just short fill from now on. Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 13:27
I've not had this problem either and I try to top it off every time.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 10:44
I have heard of people having this problem with other cars. I know one guy who's car actually starting leaking gas from topping off. His car (Toyota Corolla IIRC) had a charcoal canister at the top of the filler tube to collect fumes, when he was topping off it was filling the canister with gas and eventually started leaking gas. (I suppose the canister was degraded.) I don't have my Bentley with me, but I would conjecture there is a vent tube near the top of the neck getting gas in it when you top off??
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 20:01
rustybronco, I think you are correct. It may be that gas splashed into the charcoal canister. That should be possible to pinpoint in the Bentley. Thanks.
orangeokie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2018 at 08:04
I have the same problem on my 2003 W8. The upper fuel tank fuel pump elbow, sticking out the top of the tank, has developed a crack and leaks when the tanks are filled to capacity. The only repair is to replace the entire tank, since the fuel pump cannot be removed and replaced in the tank. Cost is approximately $2500. There is an associated engine light which is related to a vacuum leak in the fuel system. Up to now, I had been reducing the total gallons to around 10 gallons (16 gallon system) to keep it from leaking gasoline onto the floor. I finally decided it was a serious fire/explosion hazard which VW was not going to address, so safety was ore important to me than the money I am spending on the repair.

Edited by orangeokie - 04-Mar-2018 at 17:37
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2018 at 02:19
Well I got my W8 gas leak fixed. It required a new gas tank, because the plastic nipple that cracked (how I do not know) was not designed to be replaced. Engineers probably thought it could never crack either. The tank is plastic as are all the components associated with the plumbing. The white nipple is the one that cracked. The black nipple is identical, except it is black and not white.

Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2018 at 06:25
I'm having the fuel smell also only on a complete fill up. I posted in our Facebook group and they said it's a common problem of a hose on top of the tank and that the tank has to come out. The dealership looked at the car and didn't find any (liquid) leaks. I need to get a price for labor, I'm sure that hose can't be too expensive. I've changed gas tanks on other cars before but this one seems very complicated.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2018 at 04:31
They had to drop the rear subframe to get to mine. As I said, it wasn't the hose, it was the plastic nipple that had cracked. The white nipple is actually the top (highest point) of the tank.

Edited by orangeokie - 16-Mar-2018 at 04:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>