The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum Lockedplease tell me how to do this

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Double R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: please tell me how to do this
    Posted: 30-Apr-2014 at 02:12
How to change the serpentine belt,i prefer a video or a write up with pics please help as my belt is cracked and could brake any time i already have new belt
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2014 at 05:51
take the entire front end off the car :) 16 bolts/screws for the front bumper and then another 4 really big nuts for the rad suport .. ( it will swing to one side make sure to support it) and a few other mislenus nuts /bolts/screws
poop
Double R View Drop Down

Quote Double R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2014 at 07:18
I was hoping to be able to do it with out removing the front end :/ im surprised no one ever done a write up since it should be under regular maintenance
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2014 at 22:37
have you seen the amount of room available .. you might be able to do it with out taking the front end off if you have small children with tiny hands .. i have 5 kids and was thinking of training them how to do it lol... but then again i also have to replace the power steering pump so i need the front end off .. however i will say it should only take you 30 min - one hour to take the entire front end off the car .. two hours if you have never done it before :)
poop
Double R View Drop Down

Quote Double R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2014 at 00:28
How do you release the tension on the belt?
logan View Drop Down

Quote logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2014 at 03:55
large scissors... jk jk .. there is a tensioner pully and on that pully there is a square hole that fits a 1/2 inch drive pry bar ...
if you do a search of my posts / threads i have pics of my car apart and you should be able to see what im talking about .. when searching make sure to search to the end of time and not just the last 6 months
poop
unimogjohn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote unimogjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2014 at 15:27
There are several YouTube videos on how to remove the front bumper and take the front structure into the service position. Nothing specific to the W8 belt replacement however. I just did a search on Passat Water Pump and Passat Belt to find them. Just have to look around a bit.
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2014 at 04:46
The only thing you need to take off is the front bumper skin/cover. No need to remove front end or bumper bar. You do need to put the lock carrier in service position to get enough room to remove belt and get on the tensioner with your 30mm socket. You will also need to remove the two lines the go to the trans cooler loop to get enough room. It's only about a 2 hour job at the most. Seriously it only takes about 10 minutes to get from bumper cover off once you have done it before. Google or Youtube Volkwagen lock carrier as this will help you.

Edited by jaklakmak - 02-May-2014 at 04:47
W8-JHOLE
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2014 at 04:50
Originally posted by Double R

How do you release the tension on the belt?
30 mm socket over the pivot point of the tensioner.
W8-JHOLE
Double R View Drop Down

Quote Double R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2014 at 05:19
Thanks guys im doing this tommorow ,its been raining here today it stoped but i was busy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>