Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

CAMSHAFT POSITIONING CEL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAMSHAFT POSITIONING CEL
    Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 23:57
Jeez, that sucks big time. I'm sorry to hear about that. =(
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
doubleu8 View Drop Down

Quote doubleu8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 12:24
Turns out the oil leak is coming from the timing chain cover. Ordered a new one and should be finished this week. 9 weeks without my car is almost over. The other W8 that was in the shop with mine was fixed just fine, but the transmission went after a few days... this car is like a ticking time bomb... thank god for extended warranties.
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Quote JimmyPringles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 12:35
Again, why blame the car.

It seems to me that with most, one problem occurs, car is brought in to VW, then from there it's all down hill. That speaks volumes to me of the "technicians", not the car.
doubleu8 View Drop Down

Quote doubleu8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 13:47
Okay...stop acting like your W8 is your child... the car has engineering flaws PERIOD!
Every car has them PERIOD! Just happens that in order to fix the MINOR issues, it requires removing the shoehorned motor. The known issues on the W8 are the camshaft positioning sensor and transmission/transfer case issues. There are also the known Passat issues to contend with as well. I have yet to "BLAME" my car for anything. Before you drop your .02, make sure to understand the situation. When your W8 leaves you limping to the dealer for repairs, I hope for your sake the warranty covers your thousands of dollars in repairs. It's not if but when this will happen to YOU. But then again I'm sure YOUR W8 would never do anything to hurt your feelings.

BTW...every day I drive a base model sh*tbox golf, I am sooo thankful that I own such an incredible car.

Edited by doubleu8 - 20-Nov-2007 at 19:51
doubleu8 View Drop Down

Quote doubleu8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 17:10
More sh*tBOX Golf action for me... The valve cover gasket is leaking now! I can't stop laughing about this! ... When is it appropriate to ask VWOA or the dealer for compensation beyond them reimbursing me for the 9 weeks without my car?
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2007 at 17:47
Sorry to hear about even more problems...
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 01:12
Here's my take.

I myself am quick to press the panic button every time I see a serious situation like yours come up. I honestly think it's the luck of the draw...I've noticed some people have reached 100k miles+ with no MAJOR problems and of course under some type of warranty. I've also noticed your situation, and again I really am sorry for what you're going through. But to scare other W8ers into believing "not if but when" scenarios is flat out ridiculous. As you said, as long as you're covered under warranty, it won't be out of YOUR pocket. Inconvenience? Yes, sometimes, especially in your situation. But in one way or another EVERYONE, not just W8ers, have gone through some sort of a headache with their car.

It all boils down to how much you LOVE your car. If you LOVE it, keep it and get another warranty after this one expires. If you DON'T LOVE it, take it to a stealership and trade it off, but take the KY jelly -- you'll need it. I've realized I'm the happiest I've been as a car owner, and I intend to stay that way for a few years more.

reffry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote reffry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 13:28
You have all seen the VW commercial with the tow truck right ? Wow what a double meaning message it's brilliant. To all new W8 owners...I LOVE MY CAR and will cross those bridges as they come. It's been a great ride for me. 82,000 miles.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2007 at 15:42
Originally posted by reffry

It's been a great ride for me. 82,000 miles.

74,000 for me!
Darrenm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Darrenm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 06:43
48,000 and counting(no warranty)-you should own a Renault 5 Turbo 2, now that cars in pain in the back side!!

All cars cost money somehwere down the line-wouldn,t say the W8 is more problematic than any other VW.
Jan 2002 W8, Urban Gray
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>