The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Exterior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedXenon headlights.....PITA!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenon headlights.....PITA!!!
    Posted: 26-Sep-2007 at 20:42
2004 Manual Trasmition OMG if it doooooooo I'm beee happpppy lol where do you hit it so it can come out?
Marco View Drop Down

Quote Marco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 07:50
One question: Did you leave your battery connected while doing this? (I see your lights are on, but I wonder about tripping the airbags) Marco
Marco M. Pardi 2003 W8 SilverStone Grey Variant w/Sports Package, straight-thru exhaust & various extras.
pistik View Drop Down

Quote pistik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 11:11
Originally posted by Marco

One question: Did you leave your battery connected while doing this? (I see your lights are on, but I wonder about tripping the airbags) Marco

Actually, the lights on first three pictures were off, but the flash from tha camera made it look like they are on. They are on only in last picture.
As for the battery, I did not disconect the battery. Disconecting the harness connector from headlight assembly is enough for me.
As for the tripping the airbags, I thing the sensor is harder to trip than one would think. The sensor itself is not located anywhere in front bumper. It is an accelerometer which measures the deceleration.

Edited by pistik - 27-Sep-2007 at 17:12
2003 Passat W8 Sedan
Pacific Blue, Black, Tip.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 15:52
R32, they work when:
a) the headlights are on (not just DRLs, not sure about just city lights if you have Euroswitch), and
b) you turn the windshield washers on.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 27-Sep-2007 at 21:53
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by SirRangeALot

...I should look into replacing my faulty passenger side assembly...

Hey Jeremy, I just had my passenger side headlight assembly, and my passenger side fog light assembly replaced under my extended warranty. Cost - a $100 deductible. Of course the headlight assembly has to be shipped in from a warehouse somewhere out of state. While the car is at the dealer, Jon (my service advisor) calls to say that the tech found coolant on the inside of the front end, and there is a leak in the bottom seam of my radiator. Amazingly, they had a replacement in stock, and I should have the car back tomorrow. Which is nice, considering I brought it in on Monday.

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 00:43
Originally posted by Stymie

Originally posted by SirRangeALot

...I should look into replacing my faulty passenger side assembly...

Hey Jeremy, I just had my passenger side headlight assembly, and my passenger side fog light assembly replaced under my extended warranty. Cost - a $100 deductible. Of course the headlight assembly has to be shipped in from a warehouse somewhere out of state. While the car is at the dealer, Jon (my service advisor) calls to say that the tech found coolant on the inside of the front end, and there is a leak in the bottom seam of my radiator. Amazingly, they had a replacement in stock, and I should have the car back tomorrow. Which is nice, considering I brought it in on Monday.

WTF??? I talked to my extended warranty peeps about it and they told me "NO...it has to be a mechanical item." I got to thinking, why wouldn't it be mechanical?? What about the auto-leveling motors??
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2007 at 19:17
Stymie, I'm thinking that MSP anti-tank mine you hit caused more damage than you thought?
One new wheel, four new tires (3 on your ticket), new headlight, new foglight, new radiator.

Note to self: do NOT let Bruder Stymie drive my W8!
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Stymie, I'm thinking that MSP anti-tank mine you hit caused more damage than you thought?
One new wheel, four new tires (3 on your ticket), new headlight, new foglight, new radiator.

Note to self: do NOT let Bruder Stymie drive my W8!

Nah Stewart, I'd had condensation in the light housings since I bought the car, and I would always see a trace of it after any precipitation. This last stretch of heavy rainfall gave me the chance to drive through a small lake (unavoidable BTW), which damn near filled the right side light assemblies. The coolant problem had manifested itself before the encounter with the pothole.
IndyW8 View Drop Down

Quote IndyW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 15:03
My passenger side light went out. I ordered new bulbs from HIDConcept/EBay. $84/pair for Philips 4300K. How hard is it to take off the bumper? I'm a little nervous.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 13:55
Originally posted by IndyW8

My passenger side light went out. I ordered new bulbs from HIDConcept/EBay. $84/pair for Philips 4300K. How hard is it to take off the bumper? I'm a little nervous.

My passenger side just went out too. How did the bulbs from HIDConcep/Ebay work out for everyone? The least expensive I've found from a local store is $90/each and still a special order item.

Thanks

Edited by rustybronco - 20-Jan-2008 at 22:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>