The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Door Handle Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Handle Removal
    Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 08:54
This is very easy to do.

Tools:

Torx T-6 driver

Torx T-20 driver

Small flat head screw driver

Procedure.

1.Use the T-6 drive to tighten the 4 very tiny screws which hold the chrome into the handles.
2.For the REAR DOORS gently peel back the rubber gasket on the end of the door just below the handle. As you can see I pulled too hard and released one of the white clips holding the gasket. See fig 1.

3.Using the T-20 drive start loosening the screw until you can pull out the lock plug. DO NOT remove the screw. See fig 2..

4.Release the cable from the handle that opens the door lock by prying out the back tab with the screw driver.. See fig 3.

5.Gently slide the old handle out by pulling back towards the rear of the car and away from the door.

6.Remove the rubber gasket from the front of the old handle and place it on your new handle. See fig 5.

7.Replace the new handle in the door. The black plastic butt at the end of the door lock cable is snapped into the end of the handle.

8.Replace the lock plug and tighten the large screw with the T-20 driver.
9.For the FRONT DOORS follow steps 2-8 except there is no gasket to move. There is a black plastic plug that needs to be removed to access the screw. See fig 5

10.Should take you 20-30 mins for all four doors.

11.Here is the final product.

2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
Tardeaux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Tardeaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 11:44
Added bonus: the door handles look superb!
What did you end up doing for your missing T6 screw? I took a handle and the 3 screws I received with them to a couple dealerships and was pretty universally met with a "wtf...".

As much as I hate to do it, I'm about ready to settle on adhesive :(

Awesome write-up, glad to see we don't have to completely tear the doors apart :)
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 18:12
I was able to use a screw from one of those eye glass kits you see for sale in the checkout line in the Supermarket.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
FirestarterGER View Drop Down

Quote FirestarterGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 20:45
Great job, well done and documented.
I hope I can find some Door Handles that can replace my glue on Chrome stuff. I feel cheap now, hehe.

Best regards,

FS

2004 Passat W8
2003 Passat GL
1989 Cabriolet
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote R32Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 03:03
Thanks very usefull I can look at the pic and change my now. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply