Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Aftermarket Warranty Reference Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote odin43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aftermarket Warranty Reference Thread
    Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 03:46
Just wondering if anyone has any expeirience with aftermarket warranty companies? good or bad expeiriences. any particular companies that are good?
02 w8 w/hr springs & 18" bbs ch, 86 vanagon syncro w/audi I-5
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 12:58
I had bad experience with CNA, but now I'm dealing with Zurich for my W8, and so far I have no claims (knock on wood:) ), full coverage-bumper to bumper 5yr/100,000 miles with $200 deductible, I paid around $2,300.00, just for peace of mind since this W8 is a new ball game for me (I used to deal with 1.8T and V6, on my B5.5 and Audi). Just shop around and read the reviews, but again I think no matter what company you choose, it ispeace of mind to get one.
reffry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote reffry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 05:52
Does anyone use warranty direct ? If so how do you like?
sptsdn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sptsdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 06:29
I did a search earlier on a Saab forum I frequent and there were a few threads specific to WD. Many of the posters from US members were positive while the UK members were almost universally negative.

I also found this site that supposedly reviewed extended warranty companies. I really have no idea about the site and it smells of an advertisement but at least are some tips and advice that may be helpful.

I've had experience with an after-market warranty (can't for the life of me remember who the company was - this was several years ago) but it was not positive. The one claim I made they made several attempts and excuses not to pay. They ultimately paid but it was far more hassle than it was worth so my view of after-market warranties is a bit negative. Obviously this would be much more helpful if I could remember the company.

One suggestion I would give is to talk to your service advisor at your dealer(s) and independent service center. Talk to as many as you can; your VW dealer and other makes and indys you may have had contact with. Ask them their take on extended warranties and who they might suggest, who pays claims promptly and without much hassle and who is difficult to work with. If you know your service advisor well (hey, we drive VWs, of course we know our service people pretty well!) they should be pretty forthcoming with information like this.

Edited by sptsdn - 28-Nov-2007 at 12:30
- Craig
2004 W8 Variant, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, and 1978 Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 08:24
There have been a lot of discussions about 3rd party warranties at Passat World. Here's one thread with useful info:
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200479
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
borakid View Drop Down

Quote borakid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 17:44
What you are buying is not _really_ a warranty, but an insurance policy. Whatever you choose to do, check how the policy (aka "warranty") is funded. It should be backed by a REAL insurance company. There are MANY out there backed by risk retention goups (RRG). I'll let you do the research on that (I'm surprised it's legal).

I'd, personally, beware of anything not backed by an actual insurance company; at least check A.M. Best (not for the company selling it, but by the company that will fund it).

On second thought, I'd rather spend the $$$ on a Bentley, VAG-COM and tools...

Edited by borakid - 30-Nov-2007 at 23:53
2003 Passat W8
2002 Jetta
___/ __/ _/ View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote ___/ __/ _/ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 01:36
I purchased an after market warranty for my '03 wag. The car had 62k I bought the warranty from my loan officer for &1200- NO deductible, bump-to-bump coverage- which I realized later on I could have talked her down to $900-$1000. The way it works is when I need to use it the warranty company will provide the dealer/indy with a credit card number, so the billing/payment bypasses me completely.

These warranty products are designed to give the seller a commission, so it is naturally negotiable, like most everything in life. I once turned down purchasing a warranty on a '87 Wagoneer because the car cost $2900 and the dealer (quote un-quote dealer) was asking $1200 for it. I said no 14 different ways because I knew how fix the entire vehicle myself (plus, it was a fun project when the truck would breakdown--yea, I know I'm crazy!). His last offer was $600. And being a used car lot owner he wasn't about to make a move that wouldn't make money. Anyway.....

FORTUNATELY......the warranty is still in a pristine, unused condition! Knock on wood......

I feel it is a good idea. Just like an insurance policy.

_____/ ____/ ___/ __/ _/    

Mike
uu8
"I agree that the W8 is a great car--when it works... "
-dstathos-

^Pure Genius! Why didn't I write that?!?

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 01:00
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 15:11
Here's another thread I found containing great info on warranty and coverage:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3722624
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
MP33Dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MP33Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 20:03
I went with warrantydirect.com...hopefully I will never need them.
04/6MT/W8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>