Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Steering Wheel Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Wheel Conversion
    Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 04:10
Anybody have an thoughts about what it would take to get the steering wheel from a new GTI mated up to our cars? I know it most likely wont be easy. But I'd like to see it through because I think it would look awesome!

Nothing sounds like a W8...
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 04:53
I bet it bolts up fine, it's just the wiring that you'd have problems. Getting the horn and air bag wired up will be tricky, and the steering wheel controls would probably be next to impossible without some extensive retrofitting.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 05:33
Does it use the same positioning sensor as ours?
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 09:37
You can have your wheel made like that one.

http://www.steeringwheelguy.com/
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 10:55
It'll have a 2 stage airbag which is near impossible to wire up and crucially to get to work. I've got the same issue with my lambo airbag
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 19:54
Alright, so far...

Horn: Possible with some creativity

Airbag: 2 stage vs single stage. Not looking so good.

Cruise Control: Since our cars have the set, reset, and cancel buttons on the steering wheel and this new wheel pictured above does not, I'm assuming there's definitely no way of making it work with some of the other buttons on the right side of the wheel???

This may be a completely ridiculous question but I'm learning as I go here so please excuse my ignorance. But if buttons are just buttons and depending on how they're wired could do whatever you'd like them to do, then what's to stop somebody from gutting out the wiring and connections from a W8 steering wheel and making those the internals of this new GTI wheel? As for swapping airbags I have no idea how that would be doable to carry over the single stage one in place of the 2 stage airbag. But like I said this is all new territory for me and I'm trying to think outside the box.

Thanks for the comments so far everyone!

Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 20:29
You could get a turn signal stalk from a B5 or mk4 that didn't have steering wheel controls and use that for cruise control.

As far as the buttons, on our steering wheels, the buttons connect to little can-bus units mounted inside the wheels. That then translates the signal to something that's sent out to where ever. So technically, they aren't "just buttons". Those 12 buttons on the gti steering where probably only use 2-3 wires, and it's all communicated through varying signals via can bus. You might have luck moving the can bus modules over from the passat wheel, but I have no clue what the inside of the gti wheel looks like
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2014 at 23:27
Hey good idea! So I'm guessing you're talking about a turn signal stalk that looks something like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turn-Signal-Cruise-Stalk-VW-Jetta-Golf-GTI-MK4-Beetle-Passat-B5-5-1J0-953-513-/310953410819?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4866448103&vxp=mtr

As far as what the insides of the steering wheel look like, this guy selling some on ebay probably has the best pictures I could find. He also says he can wire the airbag and horn for "plug and play" for MK4's. Interesting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-flat-bottom-MK6-GTI-or-GLI-steering-wheel-red-stitching-w-multifunction-c-/171454852232

Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 04:21
If he can make it work on a mk4, it should work on a B5 then. I'd go that route.
mpreadw8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mpreadw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 16:38
Bought a turn signal stalk with all the cruise control functions on it. Has anyone on here done this conversion? Or should it be pretty straightforward?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>