The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Loss of power local dealership, stumped!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote WOLFGANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of power local dealership, stumped!
    Posted: 27-Oct-2014 at 19:07
Any thoughts please, got an 02 W8 auto with 200K with almost zero problems until a 70MPH pass and without warning the engine was very slow to build power and the sweet sound of the W8 replaced by a low frequency roar and a slight vibration prevalent throughout the entire RPM range and at idle also, but just slight. The past 20K miles the tranny has been a little twitchey but predictable. Now since this started the tranny has developed unpredictable shift patterns with an occasional lag between shifts. Took it to the dealer they found no misfire codes, no vac leaks, the mass airflow sensor is good, no codes did a tune up with plugs and air filter..No help. The Tech noticed the tranny behavior but said the best plan is to replace the cats and timing chain to eliminate some of the guesses. At 4K not so fast. Any thoughts on this one, please!
jaklakmak View Drop Down

Quote jaklakmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 00:23
Sounds like a TC that just isn't throwing out a code yet to me.
W8-JHOLE
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 03:16
Is everything OK until the first time you try to pass at 70 MPH, and then everything is terrible afterwards until you shut the car off?

Either way, your thinking is sound - do more troubleshooting (and ask here) before you spend money. Replace the catalytic converters and timing in an effort to narrow it down??? Does the mechanic think you are swimming in time and money?
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 04:42
There is absolutely no way the timing chain nor bad cats would be related to any of these problems. The fact that your mechanic even said to replace the timing chain in order to eliminate the weird shifting problems is a joke! I'd be taking it to another dealership, or asking to speak with whoever their top mechanic is there, because that's just nuts.
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 04:49
In case you don't know, people do timing chains because the guides wear out and the chains become loose and rattle. There's 3 problems that can happen with timing chains... they can be off a tooth (really only to do being improperly installed), the guides can be loose which will cause a noticeable rattling sound (imagine the sound of a chain being dragged across the ground), or the chain can fail entirely (rare) and the engine wouldn't run... There is not no correlation at all between the chains and how the car shifts or produces power. Either the chains are in tact and the car runs fine (even when the guides are worn) or the chain breaks and it doesn't run at all.

And W8s are notorious for torque converter failures. Please either take it somewhere else, or talk with the service manager or another tech and be sure to tell them what that first tech told you and how it's ridiculous.

Edited by srdavis872 - 28-Oct-2014 at 04:52
WOLFGANG View Drop Down

Quote WOLFGANG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2014 at 18:44
Hey thanks guys I'm with you's I really didn't get my moneys worth out of that dealership they had just acquired the VW franchise and brought in no one. Basically it's still a Nissan store with a couple of new Bugs and Jettas parked over in the back forty. Anyway within hours after my plea for help to the W8 forum I got my $12 e-bay vag-com controller went to Ross Tech got the program, and yea I found a code a rather ominous one (#P0420 cat converter right bank) Nothing on the tranny. So the motor comes out and about a grand gets you the manifold and cat unit or a buck thirty gets a universal cat with a little cutting and welding mixed in. Two questions? If I loosen motor mounts raise motor high as possible can I find the room to extract the cat. Also once out, can I go super cheap and gut the cats and will the car sound like crap or run a little better or run worse? I'm in Montana no inspections. Again thanks to all for rallying to this cause hope to contribute!              
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2014 at 00:09
I don't think theres room for the motor to go up, it has to go down. You can gut the cat, but then you'll still be throwing a code for a bad cat, seeing as there won't be one at all. But there are tunes out there that can eliminate that code. I'd suggest contacting Speedtuning USA about a tune, if you want to go that route.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2014 at 00:27
I checked the workshop manual and it says the engine has to come out to change the cat(s).

Get yourself a workshop manual from Bentley Publishers, it's about $95 and will pay for itself.
i03w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote i03w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2014 at 17:28
Mark.

please keep us updated.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2014 at 17:31
Originally posted by srdavis872

I don't think theres room for the motor to go up, it has to go down.

I agree on not up. If you pull the front end off it might be able to come down a little and then out towards the front.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>