Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HVAC Noise when Turning Left

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HVAC Noise when Turning Left
    Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 15:54
I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this issue for me. Whenever I turn left, even just following the road, I get a squeal from something in the HVAC system. It goes away if the Climatronic is off that is why I beleive it is something in the HVAC.   It is comming from around the glovebox area.

Any ideas?

As always the community's help and support is always appreciated!
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 16:24
It's most likely the fan. Mine started doing the same recently. Pull it out and put some grease on the shaft (or replace it). It's behind the glove box and it's very easy to remove.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 16:25
Was it just while turning or all the time? I find it strange that it is only when turning left and it is fine while turning right and going straight.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 17:52
Yes mine did do that. Maybe the fan was putting more stress on its bearings depending on which way I was turning or something like that - kind of like wheel bearings or CV shafts. Mine was also only squeaky at medium fan speeds - not low or high speeds. Maybe when it's squeaking you can manually turn the fan speed up or down to see if it changes.

Anyway, I can't say for sure that the fan is your problem. But it's a very likely candidate and it's easy to address.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2014 at 18:53
Thank you for the advice, I will look into that. Its not a major issure but one of those that makes you scratch you head and wonder how the hell it is happening.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2014 at 03:43
I have a noise coming from mine that I can barely hear and it usually only makes sounds when I first turn the HVAC system on, it sounds like a door creaking.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2014 at 16:09
You guys know that there's a way to get the Climatronic to run self-diagnostics, right? It might reveal that there's a failing flap control motor or some such making the odd noises you're hearing from behind the dashboard.

Check out this extremely handy PDF for more details. Hope this helps!

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jues/Climatronic_Self_Diagnostics.pdf
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2014 at 19:21
Thanks Marc.    I learn about this recently, few months ago, when replaced 1 of the flap positioning motors behind the dash because it was causing an error and showing up on VCDS. But it is good to have that PDF posted again on this site.

I have run that and everything is showing fine.

The noise I am hearing is squeal/whistling and from looking at the motors and the flaps I don't think they are the culprit. Also, the positioning motors are in the middle of the dash just above the floor, and I am sure it is comming from father to the passanger's side.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2014 at 23:12
and its not power steering fluid low ?
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2014 at 04:17
I don't think so, but I will definitely will verify.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>