Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Shift knob replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shift knob replacement
    Posted: 11-Nov-2014 at 17:09
Hey all,

I'm planning to replace the shifter knob in my car and I'm trying to figure out what will and won't work for replacements. The car is an MT6. I have already purchased a Redline shift boot.   Anyone know what shaft size or thread pitch I need for our cars? Is the Passat shifter shaft even threaded? It seems to be held on with a crimp-on clamp.

I know many aftermarket knobs come with a variety of inserts but some idea of what I should be looking for would certainly help.

Thanks!
'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2014 at 17:26
I think the Mk4 and Mk5 GTI is the same and yes it is held on by a clamp no threads.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 05:59
There are no threads, it just slides and clamps on. mk4/5/6 and probably 7 style shift knobs should fit.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 06:07
There is a different and more expensive clamp to hold the knob but I found out that this cheaper hose clamp will work.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES467785/
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 06:18
Or just use a zip tie... it doesn't really need to clamp with much force, more so just keep the the end from spreading open. I've swapped shift knobs a couple times in the passat and in my mk4, always just used a small zip tie.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 06:50
I was thinking of doing that but didn't know if it'd be strong enough to hold it.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2014 at 23:41
Okay, cool...Thanks for confirming. I'm sure I can come with something for a clamp. I'll probably try the zip tie thing, since I have them handy.

I'm specifically hoping to find something with a carbon fiber accent of some kind to go with the trim I put in earlier this summer. This is the last part of the wood trim replacement project. That said, I did see a really cool one that has nighttime illumination...check this out:

http://www.innovativcar-tech.de/en/passat/195-5b-typ-3b-3bg.html

As long as I'm mucking about with the shifter, has anyone installed a short-shift kit on their car? My other car is a Miata and if you've ever driven one, you probably know how awesome the shift action is. Hoping to replicate that somewhat on the W8.

This might be a good option for short shift...

http://www.speedlifemotorsport.com/jhm-solid-short-throw-shifter-2002-2005-passat-6-speed-clamp-on/

Edited by long_w8 - 12-Nov-2014 at 23:44
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2014 at 02:00
I've always wanted to, just haven't been able to justify spending the money yet. I'd say for got it and let us know.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 04:28
Mission accomplished. I have now completed the upgrades to my interior (well, I do have this FUNK switch still....), and have replaced all the wood trim with either carbon-fiber look pieces or black ones. The last pieces were the shift knob and the ashtray.

I went with the shifter knob I mentioned previously; it came from Germany a few days ago and I managed to get it installed today without too much trouble. The shifter is illuminated. I tied it to the dimmer circuit at the nearest place, which was the ashtray wiring. It now glows with a perfectly-matching red and dims with the rheostat just like all the other controls.

I'm very happy with the quality and feel of the shifter, especially for the price. Since I don't read German, I somehow missed the part where the shifter comes with a new black leather boot. It's quite nice, although I was a little disappointed that it replaces the chrome trim surround as well.

Here are a couple of photos I just took:

Edited by long_w8 - 05-Apr-2015 at 05:43
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2015 at 13:32
It looks great! What do you have the Taxi switch hooked up to now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>