The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Cruise Control not functioning. Where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise Control not functioning. Where to start?
    Posted: 05-Dec-2014 at 19:55
I've got an 04 wagon w/ the 6speed.

It's not had cruise since I bought it, and AJB said he didnt have cruise for a while before he sold it to me. I've got a long trip (~9h) coming up for the holidays, and I'd like it to work for that so I dont end up doing 100+ without realizing.

The cruise toggle on the turn signal stalk makes the light in the gage cluster light up, but the steering wheel buttons dont do anything.

I guess I'm looking for a good starting point, should I be looking at the wheel buttons having a fault? at the cruise control module? Does anyone know where the CCM is? from what I've read for the W8's its internal to the ECU?

Thanks in advance!!
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2014 at 21:51
Check that your brake and clutch pedal switches are all working. The CCM (on a UK car) is under the passenger side front footwell carpet. The cruise control is handled directly by the ECU though (under the scuttle panel). I guess they've changed the design between the 2002 and 2004, my cruise runs directly from the stalk, switch on, bottom button sets, top button resumes, etc I don't have steering controls.
Bradtastic View Drop Down

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2014 at 22:22
Is there an easy way to check the pedal switches? VAGcom or multimeter?
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2014 at 03:27
Did you get yourself a Bentley workshop manual? If not, I could look in mine for you.

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2014 at 22:28
I've got the manual but have not been all too impressed with its helpfulness. I may troubleshoot it tonight or tomorrow!
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 13:11
Yeah, a VCDS check should flag any issues with implausible signals from the brake/clutch switches.

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 15:29
RobG,

Do you know what module and what measure group/block the brake and clutch switches would be in?

Thanks!
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2014 at 12:01
I'd need to check and find out. When my brake switch went, it showed up when i did a full scan using vcds, i didn't need to go into any specific section.
long_w8 View Drop Down

Quote long_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2014 at 17:09
Although I haven't looked at these switches on the W8, on most cars they're not very hard to test. Use a multimeter and see if you have/don't have continuity when the switches are activated.

Of course, as RobG says, if you have access to VAG-COM/VCDS, that will certainly do the trick as well!

'03 Variant MT6 Sport Package
'91 Mazda MX-5 "Miata", supercharged

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2015 at 03:42
So I replaced the clutch switch, and had no luck. I had a buddy with VCDS come and check if the ECU was getting the signal. Brake switch is working as it should. Clutch switch is not. It's throwing an "implausible signal" code but no CEL for the clutch switch. We also tried jumping the two wires going to the clutch switch, and nothing changed.

Today I started digging into it a bit deeper since the control arms needed to be replaced and I'm waiting on some parts to finish that. When I opened the ECU cover - I found This:

Two yellow wires that had a few crimp connectors, and were broken. I wasnt sure what to make of it, but clearly this was messed with at one point. I gave the wires a little tug to see where they went... and that would be nowhere:

So then I removed the ECM, and started trying to find the clutch switch wires (black/blue and red/green) Right away, I noticed this Red/Yellow wire and plug was not connected to anything:

Also, i found a few more crimp connectors and other things I'm not sure about:

-The yellow arrow above is the red connector shown in the previous pic. It has a single Red/Yellow wire coming out of it and I found it not connected to anything.
-The green circle shows a blue/red wire that goes into a red connector identical to the other one I found not connected anything. It is plugged in as I would expect. What I do not expect is the crimp connector to a solid red wire.
- The yellow circle shows a blue/black wire connecting to a solid red wire. It goes to the brown connector.

The two solid red wires are wrapped together and go out of the ECM into the engine bay, and follow the thick main cable down behind the engine.

A close up view of the wires attached with the crimp connectors:

- yellow arrow - I'm not sure what the deal is with the blue/red wire. It seems to me the yellow/red one should be plugged in here as it is wrapped with the wires in the adjacent half plug.
- green arrow - This is the red/yellow wire with the red plug.
- Blue arrow - This is the black/blue wire attached to the crimp connector. I do get some resistance between this pin and the black/blue wire at the clutch switch. (actual resistance not infinite)

I've looked through the Bently manual trying to find any wiring information that might be helpful, but havent come across anything yet. The only thing I can think of is that the PO tried to install a remote car starter and this is the result.

Does anyone have any ideas on wtf is going on with this or what I should look into? I find it hard to believe VW is using crimp connectors like this ANYWHERE, let alone crimping two plain red wires to different wires like this right next to one another... not to mention the random yellow wires just floating on top of everything when I opened this.

Is anyone willing to snap a few photos of what they have going on in these pins / what those wires go to?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Brad

Edited by Bradtastic - 01-Jun-2015 at 03:43
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>