Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Replacing HID Projectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing HID Projectors
    Posted: 02-Aug-2015 at 19:52
I've been battling dim headlights for a while now and finally decided to do something about it. I've ordered a new set of projectors through The Retrofit Source and they should be here tomorrow. What I ordered was Morimoto EvoX-R projectors. They are supposed to be an upgraded Hella E55 style projector, which should be practically plug and play. they should be here tomorrow and I will left you all know. I also ordered all new headlight back covers through VW and those should be here tomorrow also and I'll do it all at once. I want to make sure they're sealed up to prevent having the same problems again.

I'll take photos and let everyone know how it goes.
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2015 at 07:28
Swapped them today. Was not exactly a direct swap and there's some little things I'm not happy with but nighttime visibility is greatly improved. Here's the reflector bowl of the stock projector. It's supposed to be a mirror like finish.

And here's the new projector before installation. Notice how shiny the reflector bowl is.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2015 at 09:00
Originally posted by srdavis872

there's some little things I'm not happy

Did they have a good fitment?
srdavis872 View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote srdavis872 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2015 at 17:22
The bolt holes mostly lined up. There's a ball and socket you need to swap over and those don't quite line up perfectly. I actually broke the plastic socket so I rigged it back together in the less-than-professional manner. The solenoid for the shutter is different and makes a tight fit. My driver side sits slightly rotated, but it did before so I'm not really sure how to solve that.

I should have taken a before but overall still very happy with them. Definitely not a project for the faint of heart though. Lot of brittle plastic.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2015 at 20:06
150,000+ miles and the cruise still works
 Post Reply Post Reply