The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Replacing the Lock Carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the Lock Carrier
    Posted: 27-Nov-2015 at 19:37
I was hoping that someone who has already removed the lock carrier (radiator support) would be able to inform me as to what will need to be looked at/which items will be needed (i.e. new gaskets, bolts, etc.).

Again to clarify I am looking to completely remove the lock carrier not put it in the service position.

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Regards,

Ken
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 09:44
I'm sure DMC can clarify as he'll have done it many times, but i think last time mine went in for a balance shaft belt change my mechanics just undid the bolts holding it to the chassis leg and pulled the whole thing off in one and supported it while they were working on it.
So technically you could do that and then undo the hoses/wiring that runs between there and the engine? I'm sure i took a picture of it but i can't find it, will keep looking.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2015 at 09:55
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 07:52
I have completely removed the locker carrier twice now and put the carrier into service position more times than I can remember. The first time was for the balancer belt, the second time was for the water pump (radiator too, but this could have been done in service position). These could have been done in service position, but is nice to have the carrier out of the way

The only items that actually have to be replaced are the spring/crimp clamps on the hose connectors for the power steering cooler. Perhaps they can be reused, though I replaced them with screw clamps (note the shop manual says to only use spring clamps). Small size clamps, around that of a thumb.

Both times when removing the locker carrier I have left the AC condenser attached and just swung it out of the way. The radiator can be left in the lock carrier along with the cooling fans.

After removing the bumper cover:
Remove metal bumper
Remove head-light washers (I left the hoses connected and just swung them to the left side).

To remove the the carrier the main connections on each side to remove are:
Right side (passenger side in US):
1. upper and lower radiator hoses (after draining radiator)
2. Un-bolt unknown auxiliary pump unit
3. Disconnect horn
4 Disconnect electrical lead to sensor on condenser

Left side:
Bottom Left:
1. Hoses for transmission cooler, bolt connectors
2. Hoses for power steering cooler, crimp-type clamps
Top of radiator:
Coolant hose, spring clamp - re-usable

In front of coolant reservoir:
1. ~4 electrical connectors.

Notice the condenser is supported on a bucket to the left side of the photo.

Edited by rustybronco - 30-Nov-2015 at 07:58
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 08:04
Fluids will be needed:
Power steering fluid
Transmission fluid
Coolant

Adding transmission fluid is a pain. Needs to be added from underneath with the engine running and the transmission fluid temperature between 35 and 45 C (I use a vag-com to monitor temperature).

Coolant, and power steering, is supposed to be bleed after refilling.
KenBIII View Drop Down

Quote KenBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 14:54
Thank you to both of you guys.

I cracked my carrier which by itself I wouldn't be so worried about but my secondary, passenger's side, fan is throwing a code and is squeaking like a mother. I thought I might want to replace the whole carrier since it will make replacing the fan much easier and I will be like halfway there already. But since I do not have a garage to work in this seems like it might be to much to try and bite off outside before the snow starts to fall.
03 W8 AT "Sport" Variant
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2015 at 20:15
I replaced one of my fans in service position in an alley (did not have a garage at the time. I think it was the passenger side. I just remember the fan was $300, ugh. It was not too hard to get to with the carrier in service position actually, but the weather was nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply