Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Clunk only on hard launch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clunk only on hard launch
    Posted: 16-Dec-2016 at 18:39
Not sure why MRAJB bumped quoting me... but figured I'd share a quick update.

Have not done any of the mounts other than the snub. Snub made all the difference in the world. Recommend the Apikol one, but I'm sure any non-OE will be fine. The OE one is a foam terd that disintegrates. Also did not end up doing anything with lowering, just replaced all of the front suspension links with new.

Even with the new snub, though, there is still a noticeable "roughness" when starting from a stop. Most of it seems to be from the clutch engagement. As best I can tell, the W8 clutch comes from the Audi A6, and it just was not really adapted well for a smooth transition. It might be the clutch itself just isnt optimal for the W8 or that the W8's calibration dosnt really allow for a "smooth" start. Either way, there dosnt seem to be any way around it. I've noticed the "grabbyness" and jerk of the start seems to be worse when starting with the wheels turned as opposed to straight ahead, it just seems like the driveline dosnt handle the input as well with steering input. it kind of jerks... engages / disengages / engages / disengages a few times. The only way to really get past it is to just put the clutch in and try again. It can be frustrating, but I've gotten used to it for the most part now and its much more manageable when you know what to expect.

When I first bought the W8 I figured it was just getting used to the car & clutch... but after 2 years of ownership, I think I'm familiar. it just feels like a design issue that unfortunately was never really addressed as the W8's were phased out pretty quickly. It's a shame, because it really is a nice engine.
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12