Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Clunk only on hard launch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote w8forNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clunk only on hard launch
    Posted: 16-Dec-2015 at 18:21
So I guess I wasn't hard enough on it during the test drive because I failed to notice this thing makes a clunk if I take off quickly from a complete stop. Any other time it does fine under hard acceleration with no signs of hesitation or slippage.

I can both hear and feel the clunk when it happens, seems like its forward of me, but its hard to tell.

Any ideas or things I can test? My gut tells me its either the TC or CV joints, but I'm sure someone with more experience might have some other ideas.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

Edited by w8forNone - 16-Dec-2015 at 18:22
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2015 at 22:44
possibly one of the engine mounts giving up? what sort of mileage is on the car. I think my front snub mount was pretty motheaten around 100k and needed a new one.
w8forNone View Drop Down

Quote w8forNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 08:58
100k. I'll take a look this weekend when I have time to get it in the garage. Motor mounts had crossed my mind too.

I'll probably end up doing motor mounts, struts and cv joints soon anyway because I'm sure its time for all and they're fairly easy. So long as I don't have a tranny issue a week into ownership I can live with it.
Bradtastic View Drop Down

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 17:19
I'm having a similar issue. I'm going to look into motor (including snub), trans, and rear diff bushings. I do not think it'd be CV joints or struts. that stuff alone is like $650.
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
w8forNone View Drop Down

Quote w8forNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 18:00
Ya let me know if you do the motor mounts and that fixes it. I'm so swamped at work right now I'm not going to have time to tear into it until after the new year, so hopefully I'll be ok driving it until then. I've been babying it of course since I discovered the problem.

The struts on this car are definitely due for replacement, it leans more in the corners than I'd like, and I'll probably go for something higher end and adjustable while I'm at it. CV joints are most likely ok, but again with 100k miles, so long as I have it torn apart I might as well do it for piece of mind. I'll do all the front bushings at the same time. Any recommendations for a nice aftermarket bushing kit?

I enjoy driving windy roads in the mountains so getting the front end dialed in is worth the expense to me, especially if I do the work myself.

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 19:17
Will keep you informed. I'm hoping to get some of the parts for christmas, and if I do - I'll be doing the work the week after. If not... I'll probably be ordering them and doing it the week after. In reference to my previous post - I meant the mounts are almost 650... struts and such are a lot more ;P

I'm looking at getting:
motor mounts: https://store.034motorsport.com/motor-mount-density-line-b5-b6-b7-and-c5.html
trans mounts: https://store.034motorsport.com/transmission-mount-density-line-b5-c5-audi-a4-s4-rs4-a6-s6-allroad.html
rear diff bushing: https://store.034motorsport.com/diff-carrier-mount-pair-rear-poly-c5-a6-s6.html#product_tabs_description
snub mount: http://www.purems.com/Products/ST-B6-EMT01Stern-Engine-Snub-Mount

if you go adjustable, up front make sure you get adjustable upper control arms too. Cheapest I've found them is on Rockauto.. search for part K100092.

Also might be worth mentioning that a lot of folks don't go the adjustable route. A bunch of folks swear by the H&R sport springs with bilstein or koni sport dampers. I was going to go this route as well, but ended up needing to re-side part of the house so couldn't spare the cash. maybe next year!
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
w8forNone View Drop Down

Quote w8forNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 19:22
Thanks for all the links. I'm familiar with 034 parts from when I had an audi. Nice stuff, but super expensive.

The reason I was thinking adjustable was so I could run it lower in the summer and bring it back up in the winter for more clearance/tire profile.

On a side note, a buddy and I are looking at some warehouse space, so I might soon have a lift at my disposal. (=

Quote Bradtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 19:24
lucky! that'd be so nice.
04 W8V 6MT
11 Husqvarna TE310
12 Triumph Tiger 800XC
w8forNone View Drop Down

Quote w8forNone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2015 at 19:29
Ya I'm coming to the point I'm going to need some shop space for my electrical business anyway, so having a lift would be a nice bonus. My back would certainly thank me. Might even live there for a while until I save up enough to buy a house/land. I can get a warehouse for cheaper than I can rent a bedroom where I currently stay.
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote MRAJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2016 at 22:39
Originally posted by Bradtastic

Will keep you informed. I'm hoping to get some of the parts for christmas, and if I do - I'll be doing the work the week after. If not... I'll probably be ordering them and doing it the week after. In reference to my previous post - I meant the mounts are almost 650... struts and such are a lot more ;P

I'm looking at getting:
motor mounts: https://store.034motorsport.com/motor-mount-density-line-b5-b6-b7-and-c5.html
trans mounts: https://store.034motorsport.com/transmission-mount-density-line-b5-c5-audi-a4-s4-rs4-a6-s6-allroad.html
rear diff bushing: https://store.034motorsport.com/diff-carrier-mount-pair-rear-poly-c5-a6-s6.html#product_tabs_description
snub mount: http://www.purems.com/Products/ST-B6-EMT01Stern-Engine-Snub-Mount

I know this is old, FYI, IIRC the motor mounts and snub mount were replaced when the engine came out.

if you go adjustable, up front make sure you get adjustable upper control arms too. Cheapest I've found them is on Rockauto.. search for part K100092.

Also might be worth mentioning that a lot of folks don't go the adjustable route. A bunch of folks swear by the H&R sport springs with bilstein or koni sport dampers. I was going to go this route as well, but ended up needing to re-side part of the house so couldn't spare the cash. maybe next year!
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>