The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Diff fluid info

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diff fluid info
    Posted: 09-May-2016 at 18:23
So I just turned 100,000 mi and want to replace the fluids in the front, center and rear diffs on my 03 6spd.manual. Are the front diff and transmission fluid the same for a manual? I've not found any good tutorials/videos and nothing on quantities and specific fluid recommendations. I'm assuming the 6spd is different from the auto when it comes to replacing the front diff/transmission fluid.
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 03:41
yes, the trans and the front diff use the same fluid, and I bet the rear diff takes the same fluid. as I recall, the trans on my b5 2.8 took almost 2 liters.

the fill is on the side of the trans, and the drain is on the bottom. the drain requires a torx (or a 12-pt?) with a dimple, iirc - but I do not remember what size. the fill on the trans uses an allen, but once again, I do not remember what size.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 03:46
just did some digging on ECS Tuning. weight is 75w90 synthetic. kit for the W8 provide 3 qts. front and rear diffs also take 75w90, figure 1 qt max for each.
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 19:00
Is the rear a limited slip? If so does it require an additive when you replace?
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 03:56
The front/rear diffs are open and the centre is a Torsen. No clutches, so no need for additives.

Transmission/front diff oil is part number G 052 911, and you need 3.4L for a complete changeout. In reality 3L might be enough because there will probably be some that doesn't drain out from the front cooler. I used Fuchs Sintofluid 75W80 for this.

The rear diff fluid is G 052 145, and you need 1.5L. I used Fuchs Sintopoid 75W90 for this.

To fill them, you'll want to buy a few feet of ~3/8" clear tubing from the hardware store. After you snip the top of the bottle, jam the tubing on. The transmission/front diff can be filled from the engine bay in this way, and the rear diff can be filled from one of the rear wheel wells. Make sure the fluid is nice and warm to get it flowing nicely.

This method is another option that looks pretty slick: http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/transfluid.htm
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 06:26
On the manual transmission the front diff, center diff and transmission all share the fluid with only one location to add and drain, correct? So were is this location on a manual transmission?
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 15:42
Originally posted by mf7365

On the manual transmission the front diff, center diff and transmission all share the fluid with only one location to add and drain, correct? So were is this location on a manual transmission?

Correct. The drain plug is towards the back, right on the bottom of the transmission. The fill plug is part way up near the driver's side driveshaft, but still accessible from the bottom.

Note that the fill procedure is a little vague. It says to fill to within XX mm of the fill hole (details in the Bentley I believe). So you need to bend a little piece of wire or something to stick down in to the fill hole. Or stick your finger down in there. On many vehicles you simply fill until it starts coming out the fill hole, but not on these 01E transmissions.
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2016 at 21:37
So did you need special bits (square, hex) to remove the drain and fill plugs? Looking to see what I need.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2016 at 22:09
Look above in one of my answers. The only odd man out is the drain plug on the trans, afaik.

Do you have the Bentley?
 Post Reply Post Reply