Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

CEL, and tons of codes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CEL, and tons of codes
    Posted: 13-Sep-2016 at 02:07
Yesterday, I changed the oil on the W8. I seem to recall having to replace a metal clip that holds a smallish electrical cable across the bottom of the block near the rear subframe the first time I changed the oil, but I don't remember anything about it yesterday as I was buttoning up the car.

Today on my way home from work, got a CEL. pulled the codes, as follows:

P1294, P1926, P1435, P1535, P1527, P1053, P1049, and P1587 popped up. I bet I squeezed that cable between the subframe and the metal bellypan.

I'm off to the garage to sort this one out. The clip/cable is the first thing I am checking...
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2016 at 02:54
ok, no obvious damage to the cable, but the clip on the right side was hanging loose, as was the cable.

more info, now that I remember - as I pulled the car into the driveway and shut it down, the radiator cooling fans both kept running. I've never seen that happen before, even on the warmest days here in New England - and it was only a high of 75 degrees F (around 21 C) today, and about 72 F when I got home.
dubu8 View Drop Down

Quote dubu8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2016 at 14:40
That a afterrun condition aka the car will still run the fans and circulate coolant with the engine off. Did that alot to me while i was in califorina. Now if your getting a check engine light for intermin fan that means your aux and maybe controller is going.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2016 at 15:35
I am thinking there has to be a common power supply to all of these. A relay, or...? Perhaps the ECU? I will be chasing it down this evening in the Bentley.
Daves '03W8 View Drop Down

Quote Daves '03W8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2016 at 17:28
I've only got the 15?? number codes in my Bentley Software Manual.
I'll convert the electronic pages in the software manual to PDF's and I'll send that to you early evening. That's the soonest I can get back home and do this.
'03 W8, '98 Passat GLS - Daily Driver, '04 Passat GLX, '03 Passat GLX - Wife's car. Black on Black, all of 'em
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2016 at 03:07
just checked the relays for the SAIP and the aux coolant pump (I think) in positions 1 and 2 on the relay block under the dash. both relays are good, and the car started without them. the same codes popped without the relays in place after I cleared them, so it isn't either relay. something tells me there is a crushed pair of wires in the cable for the motor mounts, specifically where the run goes from one mount to the other.

I have to find that cable connector and disconnect it. does anyone know where that connector is?
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2016 at 18:15
ok, I found and fixed (?) the problem!

the circuit in question is powered via a 10 amp fuse that is located to the side (inboard side) of a relay in the ECU box. there are two 10 amp fuses in there; the one that powers this circuit, per Sir Bentley, is S282. S282 was blown.

if you look carefully in the image below, you can see it behind the grey and black relays:

it was obvious that it was blown, didn't have to check continuity on it.

better view of the actual location, with a replacement fuse installed:

note, there are two 10 amp fuses in the ECU. note S282 is on the second image.

here are the pages out of the Bentley, for those who are curious:

Edited by JayTheSnork - 16-Sep-2016 at 18:17
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2016 at 04:01
ok, it happened again - same exact situation. I stopped the car to gas up, hit the gas fill door release, filled up, restarted the car, and pop - on came a CEL. same symptoms as before.

the 10A fuse was popped again. I've replaced it (takes all of ten minutes from start to finish).
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2016 at 04:03
the aux engine cooling pump in and of itself isn't powered by that fuse - but the relay for it is. and I think that's the culprit...and here's my thinking behind i:

it happened just after I shut the car off, filled it up, and restarted it - two different times now. the car had just warmed up a little before I got to the gas station - it's 5 minutes or so from work, so at shut-off when I reached the gas station, it would have kicked on for a couple of minutes. if the fuse blew while the car was shut off (when that pump relay would kick on), it wouldn't be noticed until it was turned back on again. the SAIP only should run when the car is cold, so I can pretty much rule it out. I'm checking the secondary/aux coolant pump relay in the morning - easy enough to see what the winding resistance is with my multimeter. I'm expecting something around 70 to 80 ohms, but if it is more, that should be ok.

if that isn't the cause, then it's time to look at the wiring for the motor mounts.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2016 at 14:09
there were actually two problems, one hiding the other. the aux coolant pump relay WAS bad. I checked it, and the winding was shorted; then, I replaced it, and all the other codes went away except for one...

now I only have one code for a bad electronically-controlled thermostat, P1293.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>