The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: How to remove the strut without pinch bolt removal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

How to remove the strut without pinch bolt removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to remove the strut without pinch bolt removal
    Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 01:23
I have the strut loose from the top two nuts under the hood and the one bolt off of the lower control arm but since the pinch bolt is stuck with no possibility of removal the strut can't be removed.

What are options of a way to get the strut out of the car? I tried to get to the bolts on the top link arm but it would be impossible to remove since the bolt hits the body.

If I remove the three bolts under the hood for the top mount, would that let it move around enough to get the strut out?

Edited by Superman - 15-Oct-2016 at 01:38
SeaHunt View Drop Down

Quote SeaHunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:46
maybe get a bigger hammer to get the pinch bolt to move ??
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:51
it all depends on what tools you have available. do you have an air compressor? if so, put the nut back on the pinchbolt so that it allows a center target area, turn the steering wheel to give you better access, and use an airchisel tool with a pin on it in the center of the nut. also use some PB Blaster on the bolt and upper control arm balljoints.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:51
has the car always been in LA?
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:52
The pinch bolt is not going to come out, the VW dealership has tried everything and I have tried everything at home with no results, it is just stuck in there with no possibility of being removed. Please consider that not an option. I even have the special KLANN tool from Audi and it is impossible to remove.
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:53
it WILL come out. has the car always been in LA?
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 02:56
check your PMs.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 03:49
Originally posted by JayTheSnork

it all depends on what tools you have available. do you have an air compressor? if so, put the nut back on the pinchbolt so that it allows a center target area, turn the steering wheel to give you better access, and use an airchisel tool with a pin on it in the center of the nut. also use some PB Blaster on the bolt and upper control arm balljoints.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll give this a try, I don't see any other way to do it. I guess I wasted $700 on that special Audi tool...
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 03:53
yep, it's a waste of money for that tool. Pokey on Passatworld and I were doing control arms, and Tom Parish had that tool. Pokey broke one of the "pusher" tools for it while trying to push out a frozen pinchbolt. don't under-estimate how strong the bond is of the corroded steel pinchbolt to the aluminum upright.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 05:48
What's pissing me off is that the Bentley suggests using that tool for this job but now we know it doesn't fit the W8.

I find this interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqUr1aIfuFo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>