Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Random electrical issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ladyw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Random electrical issues
    Posted: 17-Nov-2016 at 17:15
The other day I set my car alarm while I was in the car, forgot about it, and started the engine which set off the alarm. While the alarm was going off, I noticed that for whatever reason it made the battery light come on. I turned off the car, started it back up, and the battery light was gone.

However, now the battery light will stay on for a few seconds then disappear but only when I first start the car. So, if I'm driving to the store it will come on when I first start it but when I'm driving back home the light is nowhere to be found.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? This light was not on prior to me accidentally setting the alarm off. The last time the battery light did this was when a dealer screwed up on my oil change and I ended up with a new battery 2 weeks later. That incident was about a month ago so I know it's not the battery.
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2016 at 00:24
how many miles are on the car? I assume its a 2003 or 2004.

when you say you set the alarm, does it have an aftermarket alarm, or do you mean you locked the doors?

Edited by JayTheSnork - 18-Nov-2016 at 00:25
ladyw8 View Drop Down

Quote ladyw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2016 at 05:27
I have about 139,000 miles and locked the doors.
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2016 at 00:37
if you have access to a voltage meter, measure the battery voltage with the car off, and then with the car running. battery voltage with the car off should be around 12.5 volts, and with the car running around 14 volts or so.

I suspect your alternator is starting to go.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2016 at 12:05
If you're in America and if you don't have the tools and skills to do this (or if you're just lazy like me), take the car to Autozone and they will check the battery/alternator/starter with their system and tell you what is wrong. Of course they'll try to sell you something but the diagnosis is free unlike a shop.
ladyw8 View Drop Down

Quote ladyw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2016 at 18:23
I've been doing a little bit of driving this morning and oddly enough the battery light hasn't come on at all. If it comes on again, I will check the voltage.
 Post Reply Post Reply