Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Electronics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

battery replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery replacement
    Posted: 13-Jan-2017 at 12:44
The battery in this car was the biggest PITA to change, it is literally buried in there and it took me and a friend two hours to replace it.
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2017 at 00:26
Agreed. I ended up having to buy a new cowl cover because I broke it trying to take out the battery. That cowl cover must be the flimsiest piece of plastic on the whole car.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2017 at 11:30
Same. It wouldn't be so bad if it was top clamped or something, but having to dig down for that damn bolt that holds it in the bottom.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2017 at 13:18
Yeah, the bending of the cowl was the only solution that I could see other than the removal of it or the strut tie bar, my cowl didn't break though fortunately.

I used an "OBD memory saver" to keep all my electronics alive during the change to the new battery.
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2017 at 13:19
...I must add that the original battery lasted 14 years which is amazing.
GS535i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GS535i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2017 at 00:03
When the next battery dies ( hopefully in another 14 years hahahaha), get a cheap puller ( find one on ebay) and remove the wiper arms: then, the cowl cover lifts straight off, and the battery comes out no problem --- also, perfect clear field to clear leaves/pine needles/etc out of the area, especially under the ECU/fuse panel.
03 Variant W8 silver on black TIP
00 Variant white 1.8T 5sp
96 993 C4S midnight blue/cashmere
90 535i blk/blk 5sp
928 5sp
orangeokie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2017 at 22:52
Originally posted by GS535i

When the next battery dies ( hopefully in another 14 years hahahaha), get a cheap puller ( find one on ebay) and remove the wiper arms: then, the cowl cover lifts straight off, and the battery comes out no problem --- also, perfect clear field to clear leaves/pine needles/etc out of the area, especially under the ECU/fuse panel.

Wo mama! Worth the price of admission. You must be a VW technician at a dealership!
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2017 at 22:58
naw, lookit his sig - he's got two B5s.

Edited by JayTheSnork - 14-May-2017 at 22:58
 Post Reply Post Reply