Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

W8 supercharger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 supercharger
    Posted: 07-May-2017 at 13:08
There has always been so much talk and effort about turbos for the W8, which just isn't reality because of lack of room but there is plenty of room for a supercharger. Take a look at the PES kit for the V6 Passat, we just need someone to make a kit like that for the W8, which I seriously doubt will ever happen anytime soon. If you search on Google for VR6 supercharger there have been some people making there own kit out of with 3.8 liter E90 charger. The W8 is basically two VR6 put together (the W12 prototype, etc). It's just an idea to throw out to anyone crazy enough to try something. That crazy someone is not me.

Michel View Drop Down

Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2017 at 21:34
Very interesting idea!
Perhaps, I see here that we'll need someone to test and program a new ECU map for the increased air flow; air/fuel ratio..
W8-2003-270kKm, Moonrock Grey, Tiptronic, still Running well...   
Michel View Drop Down

Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2017 at 17:45
I've been thinking back of overboosting the power of this W8.

I don't think this would been a very good idea.
Rated 270 HP (SAE), it can been chipped to 300-325HP at the limit..
For having rebuilt many of those engines, I saw many connecting rods failure and crank seisure.
Those connecting rods are very thin; 1/2" (12mm) wide only, transmitting 35HP/500cc of power for each cylinder. Compared to similar 500cc connecting rod, those are a lot wider (3/4" to 1") at the crank connection.
Pushing too much power to those W8 connecting rods, heat and pressure will built-up, making the rods berings to fail. This engine design is already at it's limit with this 10.8:1 compression ratio. For this same reason, the W12 Phaeton, have this exact same 35HP/500cc per cylinder ratio, topping at 420HP.      
Sorry, I wanted to insert some pictures; it seems not to work?
W8-2003-270kKm, Moonrock Grey, Tiptronic, still Running well...   
Uberhare View Drop Down

Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2017 at 01:38
I wonder how long the Bentley twin turbo version of the W12 lasts :)
04 Passat W8 Wagon,10 A3 TDI, 05 Passat TDI Wagon (6spd M/T), 93 Corrado VR6
89 VW LT31 Florida, 89 Vanagon Whitestar, 67 Beetle Limo, 64 PA28-140
Superman View Drop Down

Quote Superman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2017 at 00:53
Originally posted by Michel

Sorry, I wanted to insert some pictures; it seems not to work?

You have to upload them to a host, like http://www.imgur.com , and then link them here.
 Post Reply Post Reply