Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

P2184 code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P2184 code
    Posted: 07-Feb-2018 at 03:15
On my side I had the P2184 cel code ''Engine coolant Temp sensor #2 circuit low''
I recently purchased from VW dealer both (G62 & G83) coolant Temp sensor. They gave me the grey version like the the ones initially on the W8.
Engine cold - Key ON - Engine not started, I resetted the code, Both fans calm down and after 10-15 seconds, Fans started to spin back like crazy..
Check both sensors wiring and terminals - The're Good,
Check resistance on those thermistors; New like old ones are between 3.2 and 3.4 Ohms.

I don't expect problem to be the thermostat?? Still, It should have shooted a P2181 code?

FYI, Thermostat was replaced at dealer a few years ago for the same symtoms. They asked $800 Cdn. to do the job. When they removed the intake manifold to replace the thermostat, a dowel pin felt into the intake and dammaged the engine (Valves & piston). Dealer decided to replace the engine with a new one on the crate. I till paid $800. for the job. They called back after one month to tell that the car was ready and I asked to keep my old 170K Km engine for the parts, what they accepted-without the new thermostat!
Now the W8 has 230K Km with a 60K km Engine (and thermostat), this is the reason I under expect the thermostat to be wrong?

JayTheSnork throwed a flag on the Fan CTS. If this control is wrong, how could the dual fans shut off for a while when the cel is resetted?
In the meantime, I will follow my old wiring to the ECU to find any corrosion or broken wires/terminals.

I don't have a Vag-Com, this troubleshooting would have been a lot easier!
With the Climatronic control program setup, we can read the engine temp, perhaps, both coolant temp sensors reading aren't specified?
Is there another way to remotely read the value of those coolant temp sensor?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Michel - 08-Feb-2018 at 16:38
W8-2003-270kKm, Moonrock Grey, Tiptronic, still Running well...   
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2018 at 03:22
are you sure you checked the rear CTS? it's pretty hard to get to just to check it...
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2018 at 13:59
are there any other codes with this one?
Michel View Drop Down

Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2018 at 14:36
I Apologies for this wrong info,

I mismatch "CTS" for "FCM" (Fan Control Module). Heard that if the FCM drive is defective it can run fans to maximum speed and cel reset won't do aanything.

Concerning the CTS, I had replaced both twice (the front one (G83) on top right of radiator and rear one (G62) on the top rear center of engine coming from the lower hose.

Cel Code is P2184 for "Engine Coolant Temp Sensor #2 circuit low".
I've made some research/reading and viewed on the Climatronic control displayed value for parameter #45 "Motor Temp" reads between 88-92 Deg. C, which is normal at Idle-Engine warm. I just don't know if this reading come from both CTS's? I'm turning around on this issue since a few weeks and I don't enjoy having both fans running at max RPM all time..
I'll try to put an hand on a Vag-Com for further diagnostic, cause at this time solutions are blank..

Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2018 at 14:39
are you using a generic OBD-II reader? the VCDS wiki doesn't show any 2184.

see: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Fault_Codes&pagefrom=01273#mw-pages
Uberhare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uberhare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2018 at 02:28
Best to get a vagcom. VW doesn't play nice with standard P codes, they don't always translate properly.
04 Passat W8 Wagon,04 Phaeton W12, 10 A3 TDI, 05 Passat TDI Wagon (6spd M/T), 93 Corrado VR6
89 VW LT31 Florida, 89 Vanagon Whitestar, 67 Beetle Limo, 64 PA28-140
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2018 at 02:35
having been through a little of this, I can tell you the following:

1. a failed CTS can cause the fans to run. been there, done that.
2. a failed thermostat can also cause the fans to run, since it may open but the sensor in it doesn't tell the ECU that it is open at the correct amount for the engine temp.
3. a failed t-stat can also take out a relay and a fuse in the ECU box. been there, done that as well.
4. it takes time, after clearing codes, for the ECU to register a failed sensor - I believe it reads them every second or two, and it takes multiple failures for it to truly be considered a fault. it wouldn't surprise me if it were to take 5 consecutive failed readings for it to finally register (and kick the fans on high).

Edited by JayTheSnork - 08-Feb-2018 at 02:36
Michel View Drop Down

Quote Michel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2018 at 16:46
Thank's guys for those usefull info's!

Will further troubleshoot and get back to you,
And BTW, Yes I have a generic Foxwell 7+ year old NT300.
It may be a good idea to upgrade to RossTech,
 Post Reply Post Reply