Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

04 W8 wheel bearings dif than earlier?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 04 W8 wheel bearings dif than earlier?
    Posted: 26-May-2018 at 22:13
the right rear wheel bearing has been whining for a while, mostly when it's been wet out - so I figured this long weekend would be a good time to replace it.

after I got what I thought were the requisite repair parts - an 82mm bearing, and a new hub - I take it apart and I see the bearing is identical to the front - a bolted-in bearing!

is this one of those running changes that occasionally happen in the VW assembly line??? I was expecting to have to press it out and press it in...

eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2018 at 18:27
I believe all W8s have this bolted bearing in the rear - no running production change. On the front there was a production change with the change from steel to aluminum uprights.

Rear wheel bearing part number = 4D0407625H

JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 00:35
rear and front bearings on mine (late 2004 with aluminum uprights) seem to have the same part number.
eddycooper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote eddycooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 14:35
My ETK shows 8E0498625B front and 4D0407625H rear. But now that I search those numbers together, it looks like the aftermarket suppliers consider these the same item. Perhaps the VW part numbers are just a difference of what's included in the box (eg. mounting hardware).
JayTheSnork View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote JayTheSnork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 15:12
Mounting is the same. Same mounting bolts, same axle bolt. Hub is a little different.
 Post Reply Post Reply