The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Traders Corner > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Considering Selling 2003 W8 Sedan Tip (NH, USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jmc_w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jmc_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Selling 2003 W8 Sedan Tip (NH, USA)
    Posted: 15-Aug-2018 at 23:00
I will take and post some photos as soon as I get the car back from my mechanic.

I mention in the earliest post that the car was going in for a driver window issue and a MIL that seemed surely related to cooling. The driver window is now corrected with a new regulator. The cause of the MIL is now known: It is the thermostat that is faulted, and at the same time there was a very small coolant leak in the area that over time corroded the connector coming off of the electrical harness. I am now waiting to have a new thermostat installed and also a new cable pigtail to replace the corroded connector.
03 W8 Sedan Tip
jmc_w8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jmc_w8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2018 at 22:50
Hello all,

I am considering selling my 03 W8 sedan, and I want to see if there is any interest in this forum. It is silver with a black interior and rides on two sets of 16in wheels, one set with summer tires and one set with winter tires.

The car has about 126,000mi on the odometer, but the engine is only about half as old because it was replaced when a thermostat replacement went very bad and a piece of hardware ended up getting into a valve unnoticed.

The pros are that the engine is relatively young, the torque converter has been replaced, and it has fairly new springs and Bilstein HD shocks. Also, the interior is in perfect condition, and the exterior is in good condition though has a few rear bumper marks from parking in a New York City parking garage once and a couple minor dents on the hood from either a mechanic or a friend closing it with a few tools still in there on top (nobody will admit it, haha). The car also has Upsolute tuning in the ECU. There is zero rust. The car is always well-maintained. Both front brake calipers have been replaced at this point. An O2 sensor has been replaced.

I just dropped off the car at my mechanic's (a German car enthusiast kind of shop), and it right now has the MIL for something temperature sensing or cooling related, as the engine fan is running at the highest setting all the time when the engine is warm. Yet the thermostat is rather young, replaced a couple years ago, and one of the fans and the fan module not even a year old. So to be determined what is wrong. Also, something is presently wrong with the driver window mechanism (but switch and motor okay), and that will be repaired too.

The cons: The paint could use a good polish. The headlight lenses should be refinished (again) to get them more clear. The car has been complaining with "alternator workshop" under certain conditions for more than half of its life, yet my mechanic spent a good amount of time measuring alternator output and we have never found anything significantly wrong with it to spend the replacement money. (Its initial output at idle is low until it is revved up a few hundred rpm, and the field builds.)

Any interest, post here.

Best,
John Caruso
03 W8 Sedan Tip
 Post Reply Post Reply