Forum Home Forum Home > Registration > Introduction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

'03 6-spd black sedan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wmorrison65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '03 6-spd black sedan
    Posted: 17-Sep-2018 at 06:16
Hi,

Just an introductory note.

Owner of an '03 Passat W8 sedan, black manual 6-spd, since January 2017. Love it.

Actually bought two of them. The 6-speed had broken headlights, tail lights, smashed fenders, missing exhaust, aftermarket wheels, etc. and the second black sedan was a tiptronic in good exterior condition, with Madras wheels. Took what I needed from the tip to repair the manual and junked the tip. (Couldn't find a buyer.)

The Madras wheels are peeling and I still haven't got them refinished yet. Maybe next year. Got the standard Bistars on it for now.

Had a brand new engine since April 2017. Old one had probably a head gasket leak and other undiagnosed problems. I found a new-old-stock W8 on ebay, and decided to just go for it instead of fixing the existing engine, which could have potentially cost close to the same as putting in the new one. At least this way I should hopefully be able to enjoy it for a while before problems set in. Got to break it in myself, and so far it doesn't burn a drop of oil.

The stock exhaust is so quiet I have trouble taking off from a stop if there is any noise outside, like rain or construction. I'll either stall it or over-rev because I can't hear the engine.

Would love to hear a little more engine sound to make shifting easier, but not straight-pipe loud. Unfortunately as you all know there's not really any aftermarket support, so it would be custom. These engines do sound great, though. But for now, the stock exhaust is holding out.

I have VCDS, which gets used a fair bit because I also have an '01 Audi TT Quattro, one daughter has an '01 Audi A4 1.8T, and the other has an '05 VW Passat 2.8L. I also have an '01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, and my son has a '96 Lincoln Town Car. I've worked a fair bit on all of them.
orangeokie View Drop Down

Quote orangeokie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2018 at 20:54
Looks like you have a nice stable of German automobiles. Welcome to the forum and glad you could bring another W8 back to life.
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2018 at 21:39
Nice. I needed my exhaust flexis replacing, i got a local exhaust place to do me a pipe section from the flexis down to the rear mufflers, deleting the suitcase muffler from the middle. It's nice, under 3k and you can hardly tell it's changed, give it the beans and it will sing you the song of it's people :)
 Post Reply Post Reply