Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedGorilla Gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorilla Gear
    Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 22:22
Was thinking of getting the Gorilla Gear mat and blocks for the trunk. I have to transport computer equipment fairly frequently. Before the 2nd child I would use the back seat and foot wells for stuff out of its boxes. That’s not so much of an option any more, that space is taken up with the required baby/kid stuff now. Moved one server and a PC yesterday and no matter how slow a turn of soft a stop, they just slid and bumped all over the trunk.

Looking online everything says that they are not for 4motion. The biggest difference I see from my V6 non 4motion to the W8 is the missing cubby on the right side of the trunk. I also know that the rear suspension is totally different from a non-4motion. Does anyone know if there is any other difference layout wise? Is the trunk stamping different? Would the mat fit, but stop short in that corner because of the cubby?

Any other suggestions on a possible solution would be welcome too. I need it to be something that can be reconfigured to lock down different size things. TIA
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 23:23
I have the Gorilla Gear trunk liner and blocks (set of 4) in the Variant. Works great, and has saved the interior from a couple of spills - not too mention easy cleaning after muddy dogs and mountain bike gear.

The velcro blocks work decently well... they still adhere pretty well (not to packed up with lint and dog hair). For computer gear, I'd still be nervous with just the blocks, especially anything tall or top-heavy.

Not sure what might be different in the sedan as far as the trunk mat is concerned. One thing with the 4mo sedans is that the rear seats don't fold down, but don't know why that would be a factor?
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 09:39
I usually lay equipment on its sides to deal with the top heavy factor. So if a mat would fit, the blocks would be just to secure it in place enough to keep it from sliding.

So the wagon one fits from what you are saying, anyone know about the sedan one?

Edited by dubya_eight - 13-Jan-2008 at 15:40
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 11:36
I have tried the Gorilla gear linear. I wanted the Passat Sedan 4 Motion Cargo Liner (item # 3B5061160B) But the part was replaced by item # ZVW380300A - the Gorilla gear liner and that's what the dealer ended up ordering for me . The Gorilla gear does not fit the 4 motion trunk, it is made for the FWD version. However, it you wanted to get into it, the mat is bigger than the floor of the trunk so I think it would be possible to trim the mat and make it fit. I personally returned the liner I got.

There might be some after market options but I have not looked into them.
What I use now to prevent items from rolling around are some Case Logic soft side baskets that Velcro to the trunk carpet. They are not overly expensive, have carrying handles and fold flat when not in use. I've seen lots of these by other brands too... VW has an expensive version here. Perhaps a cargo net would also work?
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by dubya_eight

Does anyone know if there is any other difference layout wise? Is the trunk stamping different? Would the mat fit, but stop short in that corner because of the cubby?

The cubby on the side is not the only difference. The trunk floor is higher so it is also a little shorter on the 4 motion (due to the sloping of the rear seats) than on the FWD. I think the widths are similar, if not the same.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 09:10
Originally posted by fitzski

I have the Gorilla Gear trunk liner and blocks (set of 4) in the Variant. Works great, and has saved the interior from a couple of spills - not too mention easy cleaning after muddy dogs and mountain bike gear.

The velcro blocks work decently well... they still adhere pretty well (not to packed up with lint and dog hair). For computer gear, I'd still be nervous with just the blocks, especially anything tall or top-heavy.

Not sure what might be different in the sedan as far as the trunk mat is concerned. One thing with the 4mo sedans is that the rear seats don't fold down, but don't know why that would be a factor?

X2, I have them for my wagon and they are great.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Quote dubya_eight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 17:20
Local VW shop is going to order one for me N/C so I can look at it and give it a test fit. Would be great if it is bigger, I can just pull out the current liner and trace that onto the back of the Gorilla one. Thanks for the input everyone. Will let you know how it works out.

I had found another option, but could not find any pics of it and all the info was inconclusive as far as fitment and for 4motion or not. Some sites said ok for 4motion sedan, some said 4 motion wagon only. All the sites gave 2 model numbers for fitment, one for sedan an one for wagon, but some swapped the numbers. Figured this would be too much work to get a straight answer.

In case anyone wants to dig deeper into it:
http://www.niftyproducts.com/nifty_truck_product_detail_objectname_Cargo_Logic_truck.aspx
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
Darrenm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Darrenm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 08:32
I've got a rubber boot protector-is too long & too wide where the cubbys are at the rear(near the lights) its a sedan model, but never trimmed it as it does still fit OK-its a non slip item so it does stop heavy items rolling around the boot :) As far as I know its the best fit-I tried 3 or 4 before settling on this one & all were for the 4 motion specifically??!!
Jan 2002 W8, Urban Gray
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 08:37
Sounds pretty good.
Do you remember any further info about it (brand, price, part number, etc.)?
TIA
Darrenm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Darrenm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 08:53
Just had a look-its got 'complexion' stamped visible on mat(middle front) and was from a company called 'rubber mat company' which sells on E-bay was around £70GBP inc free UK postage...
Jan 2002 W8, Urban Gray
 Post Reply Post Reply