The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

HOW-TO: Oil & Filter Change (Pictures!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOW-TO: Oil & Filter Change (Pictures!)
    Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 14:51
Well know, isn't that interesting!
And here I was starting to feel all warm, fuzzy, and special.
I guess we'll here from others as to whether or not they have it as well.
My oil pan had hand lettered "6917" in green paint as well.
It looks like Jon has painted markings on his oil pan as well?
(And the green blob on the front bar, too).
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 16:20
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Well know, isn't that interesting!
And here I was starting to feel all warm, fuzzy, and special.
I guess we'll here from others as to whether or not they have it as well.
My oil pan had hand lettered "6917" in green paint as well.
It looks like Jon has painted markings on his oil pan as well?
(And the green blob on the front bar, too).

The numbers on my pan are 6426. I don't think my car is set up to do oil life monitoring - but if it is the same sensor, or at least the "correct" oil pan it would be a lot easier to do the modification.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2008 at 22:22
Gee, I wish I had seen this thread last weekend before I changed my oil. From what I remember my oil pan looks different and is completely smooth on the bottom.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 08:51
Originally posted by B5crazy

Gee, I wish I had seen this thread last weekend before I changed my oil. From what I remember my oil pan looks different and is completely smooth on the bottom.

It would most likely still have the depression for the oil sensor (as mine does), a bloated-triangle shape, and could be milled to accept it, but there is a specific oil pan available that has all the right holes and threads.

On what the sensor does:
After installing and running the wires, we recoded the instrument cluster for flexible service intervals with the oil level/temperature sensor as described earlier in the thread. By default for flexible service intervals, the maximum distance before service (adaptation 43) is set to 50 for 50,000 km. The maximum time before service (adaptation 44) is set to 730 days.

Once the sensor is installed, you can look at measuring blocks group 003 and see in block 2 the oil level (either OK or Not OK) and in block 3 the oil temperature in Celsius.

Also, three other adaptation values of interest are:
Channel 46: Total fuel consumption (only on gasoline engines)
Channel 47: Carbon content level
Channel 48: Thermal loading or oil quantity used
As far as I know, you should not (!) touch these values unless you have lost power to the battery or are changing a cluster. These appear to start at 0 when the service is performed and then get bigger as the car is driven. I believe the values in these channels are used to determine when it is time to service the oil next.

I considered doing the mod... but for me, it's cost and effort that wouldn't have any impact on how I use my car(s). I check my oil fairly regularly, and I would still continue with my UOA testing anyway (as the sensor doesn't provide any indication of true oil quality or condition - merely it's duty cycle and estimated protection).
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 11:40
Originally posted by fitzski

I considered doing the mod... but for me, it's cost and effort that wouldn't have any impact on how I use my car(s). I check my oil fairly regularly, and I would still continue with my UOA testing anyway (as the sensor doesn't provide any indication of true oil quality or condition - merely it's duty cycle and estimated protection).

I agree completely. The one thing I'd be interested in is oil temperature, and not enough to do the mod... now if everything is already there and just needs some time with a VagCom I would look into it. Might have to break down and finally get one. (it's been on "the list").
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 13:01
Interesting, but I'm now a card carrying member of the 5K OCI Club.
That is what Westside VW recommends, though one other local dealer still follows the factory 10K OCI.
Blue Spirit/ Black
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 13:51
Well, if you've got the time and money, it's hard to argue with changing the oil TOO often... but really, what benefit do you think it provides?   And for that matter, why 5k, why not 2.5k? Sorry... not *trying* to be an ass... but unless I missed some posts... I haven't seen any evidence that would suggest the 5k interval is going to offer any better protection than 10k.

A quality oil (which most here seem to be using - Elf, Motul, GC, Pentosynth...) is going to last and protect well beyond 5k, and you can substantiate that with testing (which I did, before continuing to 10k). I just ran 15k miles on the most recent stuff in my Jetta TDI, and the UOA was excellent. The same oil in the W8 was returning UOAs that were even better (though I've not gone longer than 10k miles).

My wear rate on my last 10k UOA from the W8 was 0.88 ppm Fe/1000 miles - that's astoundingly little wear, and if it weren't validated by my other UOAs, I would question the lab/test procedure.

For comparison, the dealer Castrol 502 that was in it when I bought the car was 4.52!! Hence the reason I stick with a 505.01 oil.

Edited by fitzski - 27-Feb-2008 at 19:52
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
ikonw8 View Drop Down

Quote ikonw8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 14:26
Where do you get your UOA done?
IKONW8

2003 Reflex Silver, Stock
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 14:48
I get mine done at Toromont/CAT:
http://www.toromontcat.com/sos_oilanalysis.asp

There are many other labs, including:
Wear Check (Canada)
Oil Analyzers, Inc.
Blackstone Labs
Polaris Labs

Edited by fitzski - 04-Mar-2008 at 15:21
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2008 at 18:39
I too am a firm believer in UOA as an ongoing monitor of an engines well being, and the condition of the oil itself.
I spent 4 years in the USMC as a tank crewman, and have pulled many samples for AOAP (US Army Oil Analysis Program).
My Motul 8100 E-Tech was getting close to 7,500 miles, at which time I was planning to extract a sample for Blackstone to establish a baseline for the engine, and the condition of the existing oil.
Before that happened, my car threw a hard P0011 code, at which time I did the oil and filter change to see if that would work - which it didn't. I used Mobil1 0W-40, as it was available close to home.
At 4,000 miles I will pull a sample of the Pentosin HP 5W-40 and send it out for analysis.
I changed out the Mobil1 after I got my car back - it looked fine after 700+ miles, but I didn't want to leave it in there after the cam adjuster repair, in case there were any foreign particles still floating around.
I am more concerned about the cam adjuster in Bank 2 (which wasn't replaced) than about the rest of the engine or the oil itself.
I may change my mind after I see the 4,000 mile analysis and ones at 7,500, and maybe even 10,000 miles if everything looks fine.
Blue Spirit/ Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>