The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedService in the EU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Service in the EU
    Posted: 20-Dec-2006 at 15:13
I was curious how VW dealer service rates in the EU. Basically, in the US you go to the dealer to buy a new car and get warranty repairs done. Since repairs at the dealer are very $$$$ and very often the work done is poor most of us either DIY or go to independent garage.

What is the norm in Europe? Does it vary by country?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
W8 VRM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8 VRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 05:07
In the UK it is mega bucks to use a VW dealer and some of them are just terrible. However there aren't so many private mechanics around that know the W8. Not having an authorised dealer also kills the warranty....

Where I live in Kent, UK there are two dealers nearby. One near my home and one near my work. The one near my work has THREE TIMES told me I needed work done and quoted me a high price but when I went to the other dealer they advised me that nothing was wrong and in one case just topped up my power steering fluid. Would have cost me 000's if I'd listened to the other scam artists.

So if you are nearby - JCB MEDWAY, VW Dealer in Gillingham, Kent, England - watch them I find they cannot be trusted.

Cheers All

Chris
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2006 at 15:31
Tom,

There are really different situations per country. On the one side Volkswagen is saying, there is just one quality standard worldwide. But if you compare the status quo in the single countries you will see, that's dreams of managers far away from the reality.

Let's have a look to Germany. We have more than 2,600 Volkswagen workshops here and round about the half of them are Volkswagen dealers, too. Such a VW dealer sells round about 250 new cars per year in average. The investment in the dealership is really a hard thing, the profit coming from the sales of new cars tends to zero. Used car sales is a loss business currently. The only department earning money is the service and parts sector.

Most German customers go to the VW dealer for service works as long as the warranty is binding. The high price cars (V6, W6, Phaeton, Touareg) will be seen for some years longer at the VW workshop than the low price cars (Lupo, Fox, Polo, Golf etc.), as far we can talk about "low price cars" with VW at all ;-).

Unfortunately this pressure doesn't lead to more customer orientation and service quality. Please don't understand me wrong: In general all is ok. But there are much trifles not suitable with the brand's claim: Nobody explains you the bill, nobody is asking you for a replacement car, you don't get a call when your car is ready, they make repairs you haven't ordered, they say, you can wait for the repair and then it needs two hours.
So in my eyes it's more the soft facts where you'll find the problems. And what's the reasons? Most of the German VW dealers are family owned. Hence it's in the hand of the owner to change something. But on the other hand there are sooooo many obligations and administration work coming from VW.

I hope the situation will be improved.

Regards,
Derek
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 23:00
Wow. So, I guess the US is not a lone in shoddy/variable service by VW. This is too bad. Derek, is there much of a difference between VW and Audi service?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
coach_pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coach_pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 13:10
Actually you should think there is no difference. But there is. If you compare customer surveys the Audi customers are more satisfied than the VW customers. I have no idea of the reasons for such results but maybe it's because of the higher service standards with Audi.
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 03:52
Originally posted by W8 VRM

In the UK it is mega bucks to use a VW dealer and some of them are just terrible. However there aren't so many private mechanics around that know the W8. Not having an authorised dealer also kills the warranty....

Where I live in Kent, UK there are two dealers nearby. One near my home and one near my work. The one near my work has THREE TIMES told me I needed work done and quoted me a high price but when I went to the other dealer they advised me that nothing was wrong and in one case just topped up my power steering fluid. Would have cost me 000's if I'd listened to the other scam artists.

So if you are nearby - JCB MEDWAY, VW Dealer in Gillingham, Kent, England - watch them I find they cannot be trusted.

Cheers All

Chris

Hi Chris,

Which was the good dealer then ?

I'm in Romford, Essex and use my local dealer (Lindvale) where I bought the car. But I'm always on the lookout for an alternative who knows the W8...

Cheers

Chris
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
W8 VRM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8 VRM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 13:20
Beadles in Aylesford near Maidstone. Always been okay with me....

Chris have you made any changes to your tiptronic - chips etc. ?

Cheers

Chris
w8cmp View Drop Down

Quote w8cmp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 12:41
Oh yes I know Beadles - used to get my Passat TDI serviced there when I was working on the CTRL based up Bluebell Hill.

As regards changes to mine, I've had it remapped with Custom Code. Slightly smoother power delivery but only a few HP gain (oh and the limiter has been removed).

However with hindsight I probably wouldn't do it again as I don't believe it's cost effective. Only took it above 155mph a couple of times on trips through Europe - topped out at 167mph on the Autobahn.

Chris
Current Car:
2010 VW Phaeton 3.0 V6 TDI
Beryllium Grey, Beige Leather Loads of extras

Former Car:
2002 W8 Tiptronic Saloon
Grey Anthracite, Black leather
Sold at 114,800 miles
Now resides in Uganda
 Post Reply Post Reply