Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Help with a User Registration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with a User Registration
    Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 11:10
Hey Spinner... I received a note from someone trying to sign-up - I guess they are having a problem with the authentication e-mail (being that they haven't received one).

Hi Fitzski, I am trying to become a new member of the W8forum. My username and password have been accepted, however, I do not receive an e-mail to register. Any idea how to get that fixed?

Problem could be on their end (ISP treating the note as spam?), or something else...? We've had a lot of successfully registred new users recently, so I'm thinking it's probably on the client end... but maybe still something you can look into. Also not sure if there might be a time-out for the activation link that may have expired anyway.

The e-mail address used was kadatz.kanada "at symbol" sympatico dot ca
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 13:26
Hi Fitzski.

Don't know why she hasn't received an activation e-mail. I figure it's an error somewhere else, that on this forum, since so many others have registrered lately.

But I've activated her manually, so she should be able to log in now...
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 14:06
Thanks, I'll let them know.

I agree... most likely a problem on the client side.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
flitza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote flitza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 00:26
Hi,
I finaly got into the forum.Thank you for your help fitzski
I will introduce myself shortly.
Regards.

flitza,W8 pacific blue,grey inside
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 02:33
I actually had another member contact me a few months ago regarding the same issue. They were not receiving confirmation emails. Luckily their registration finally went through, but it seems to be a PITA for people that want to join that can't due to "technical difficulties." =)
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
spinner View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Quote spinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:09
I know it seems like there have been a lot of trouble signing up for this forum, and I've had my doubt about stability myself.

So in order to get a picture of how bad the problem really is/have been I ran a query against the database, to see how many have signed up but are still not active.

Here are the figures (missing months equals 0):

month      count
2006-12        3
2007-01        1
2007-04        2
2007-05        1
2007-07        4
2007-08       19
2007-09       12
2007-10       17
2007-11        2
2008-01        1

So there were a problem around august-october last year, but I bet it's gone now.

But let me know if you still here from people who can't join. We want as many as possible in here
sptsdn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sptsdn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:01
I suspect the problem is now gone. Some of those stats may be from members trying to register using a different ID and email. I'm one of those; I registered a total of three times (as sptsdn, CWilson, and wilsocr) because I wasn't sure if the issue was on my end. I though that my email was preventing the registration confirmation email from arriving so I made a few attempts using different email accounts.

I kept checking back as a visitor and when I saw the posts from new members, I requested the registration email be sent again and it arrived promptly.

Feel free to remove the CWilson and wilsocr accounts seeing that they are some of my failed attempts.
- Craig
2004 W8 Variant, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, and 1978 Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply