Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Engine light on/ Fan running continually

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine light on/ Fan running continually
    Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 10:44
I came home last night and my engine light came on. Engine Temps stayed within normal range, but when I got home the car was idling funny and when I turned it off, it kind of made a big whoosh sound and then the fans ran full speed for about ten minutes. I Have an 03 6MT variant with 57,000 mi. , so it is still under factory warranty plus I have a 100k extended warranty policy. The one previous owner had had the thermostat replaced once before, and when I called the dealer to schedule an appointment, he said a thermostat would not be covered under the engine/powertrain warranty. Any Ideas?
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 11:35
Mine was replaced 2/20/2008 (45,087 miles), and had previously been done 5/3/2005 (32,171 miles).
The first WAS done under the VW Powertrain warranty, as indicated by the warranty/ recall history Westside VW printed out for me.
Extended warranty paid for the second one when my Bank 1 cam adjuster parts were replaced.
See if you can get your extended warranty to cover it - they may not, claiming it should be done under Mfg. warranty, or they may replace it.
Someone elses warranty wouldn't replace it, claiming it was "a normal wear and tear/ maintenance item".

You could also try VWoA, but they tend to side with the dealers decision - though not always.
You could also try another dealer?
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 19:08
Originally posted by mf7365

...I Have an 03 6MT variant with 57,000 mi. , so it is still under factory warranty plus I have a 100k extended warranty policy...

I thought the factory warranty was four years/50,000 miles, whichever came first.

For example: My car, with a June 28th, 2003 service date, ran out of warranty on June 28th, 2007. I had less than 40,000 miles on the clock.

Did you perhaps mean a CPO warranty?
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 20:57
IIRC, the VW powertrain warranty goes five years and 60K miles
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 09:38
The Owner's Manual should have the US warranty section in it.
I think it may also depend on whether or not you were the original owner, or a family member that had the warranty transfered.

My 2001 MkIV Jetta Wolfsburg had the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain.
Blue Spirit/ Black
reffry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote reffry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 11:10
If the temp was normal, would it be the thermostat itself ?
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 15:43
VW dropped the whole immediately family thing when they went away from the 10yr./100,000 mi. warranty. I am the second owner, but the original factory warranty is fully transferable to whoever buys the vehicle, both the bumper to bumper and the 5yr/60,000mi powertrain. The car is at the dealer now, and tomorrow I will find out what the problem is.
mf7365 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote mf7365 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 14:59
The dealer informed me yesterday that the entire climatronic unit has to be replaced. Apparently it houses the control module for the cooling fans which is no longer working. My ext. warranty will cover the cost, which will be near $700.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 17:39
That is interesting!
I can only assume this a W8 specific issue/ Climatronic HU thing?
I've never heard of it on V6 GLX Passats.
Blue Spirit/ Black
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 09:59
Cooling fans are not controlled by the Climatronic, AFAIK. It's the ECU's job. Climatronic HU is not part of the system, nor of the troubleshooting procedure for cooling system malfunctions.

Ask them to tell you what the fault codes are. When my car does what you describe, the code it throws calls for a complete check of both coolant temperature sensors, the thermostat, and associated wiring. If all of that checks out, the ECU is the culprit.

Do I smell a cash cow?
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>