Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

update on engine light, CEL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: update on engine light, CEL
    Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 21:21
Just got off the phone with the guys at the VW shop. They said that its the electronic silinoid thats the problem. It i guess runs the camshaft.

Well, they called my warranty company and they wouldnt honor it. Thats wouldnt... as in would not...... Soooooo..... 2200 miles and im dicked with a $3,200 bill..
I have the high-tech electronic select warranty from VehicleOne on this car. How is this part not considered high-tech?? I have no f***ing clue.

So frustrated... what do i do guys? im a broke college student. Now im thinking i know why i gotta really good deal on this car.
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 22:27
i don't know what solinoid has anything to do with a camshaft. maybe you should have gotten the comprehensive warranty instead of just the high-tech?

could be a good lesson for all...

but you have no recourse with the seller???
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
Brokecollegestudent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 22:57
no no, i did get the comprehensive, its all internally lubricated engine parts, heating, cooling, suspension. its pretty much everything. But i added the high-tech and a few other options available. So thats whats getting me.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 23:03
What specific company is your warranty with?
When I went to VehicleOne.com I couldn't find anything about warranty except links to other sites.

Does "high-tech electronic" just cover the electronics in the car and nothing else?
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 23:14
IIRC, the codes you have are pretty much the same I and a few other members have had.
The Cam adjusters are sure as sh*take an "internally lubricated engine part".
There are the cam position sensors, but I cannot think of any solenoids involved in the timing mechanisms.
Blue Spirit/ Black
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 23:16
since you have comprehensive, that should cover everything. read your contract. did you contact the company? did you give that contact info to your service advisor?

and like bluestew said the P0011 code is the famous cam sensor/adjustor that i just had fixed last week. you better believe it is a lubricated part!!! go get 'em!

Edited by squish - 05-Mar-2008 at 05:21
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 23:23
Yea, my mechanic contacted the VehicleOne company and they said that its not an internally lubricated part. If that part isnt covered, should the cams be covered and not be charged to me? I could get away with like a 500 dollar bill if that is the case, that sounds a hell of a lot better than 3200... maybe more. Anyway, i would love to have some of you guys talk to my mechanic.

He said that he tested it through the VW site, and they had him test all these different things and the valves and everything. I wish i had more details. I will have more tomorrow.

What do i need to ask these guys? Im going to call the warranty company myself, my car dealer is calling the company, and ill have my mechanic call them again. Theres no way i can pay this...
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 00:24
The solenoid is integrated into cam adjuster housing, it controls flow of oil which in turn adjusts cams.
looks like little black screw on cylinder solenoid you see on garden watering systems but I'm sure a dam more expensive, and certainly a lot harder to get at.
It is contained in the part which they replace with the common cam adj prob.
I'm with blue steW8 on this one.

Edited by JMCXTY - 05-Mar-2008 at 06:33
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 11:40
I've been thinking about my recent cam adjuster/ extended warranty trip.
Per the NESNA rules, VW pulled the parts, but the warranty rep. had to see the part(s) in person to authorize the repair.
Due to the quote, he had to actually get it authorized by higher ups.
Had they declined I would have been responsible for having it repaired or put back together.
In my case, when they pulled the adjuster housing they found the torn screen in the oil passage. They also found the leaking thermostat/ coolant flange.
My warranty excludes "diagnostics" unless it is tied to a covered part.
It sounds like you took it to the VW Service department?
They should be advocates for you in this case - it is a good revenue source.
Keep pushing - does your school have a legal aid?
Blue Spirit/ Black
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 12:07
just called everyone and their dog on this problem. They said that the cam does not need to be replaced, its just the silinoid or whatever needs it. Its not considered an internally lubricated part and its not considered a high tech part.... but a power seat motor is considered a high tech part??? explain that one to me.

Man, i wish i was in Omaha right now, i would go down there and just start crackin heads. This is ridiculous. I called my mechanic and asked him to call them back and lie or something to get this part covered. I might be tradin this car in for something way less superior
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>