Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

update on engine light, CEL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: update on engine light, CEL
    Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 14:21
hmm.. i know what you mean. Ive only had the car for 50 days. So right now I'm seeing if the dealership will float the bill. They are the northwests largest dealer... They sold something like 4000 dodge cars and trucks, thats not including all the other kinds of cars and trucks they sell. If they will take care of it, then i have nothing to worry about. But im not banking on that. Im sure im going to have to pay for it. Come to think of it, there was a lot of oil leaking from the underside of my car? What might that be? It was more on the driver side. I didnt know anything about it until the tow truck guy was there and he lifted it to put it on the trailer.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 14:51
Jeez, good luck on all of this.
Does WA have generous consumer protection laws for used cars?

In MN we get (covered by the dealer):
Used vehicles with less than 36,000 miles at time of sale (mine was):
Provides coverage for 60 days or 2,500 miles, whichever occurs first.
ENGINE: lubricated parts; intake manifolds; engine block; cylinder heads...etc. Fairly extensive list TRANSMISSION, BRAKE SYTEMS, STEERING RACK, etc.
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 15:06
The warranty company should be ashamed. The cam adjuster housings (including the solenoids that control oil flow to the camshaft adjusters) are lubricated, internal engine parts - when lubrication is contaminated when the screen rips, they fail.

It sounds as though your mechanic didn't use the correct words when he talked to the warranty rep - he was too specific, and said "solenoid" when he should have just said "cam adjuster housing." I sure hope for your sake it's not too late to get the warranty company to see the light... that's an expensive bill, even for non-broke ex-students.

You haven't said - is this a conglomerate delaer who sells Dodge and VW? If they've got a VW dept, they should have been aware of how to handle this.
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
Brokecollegestudent View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 15:20
i just tried to look for a used car warranty in the state of washington. Also, i bought my car in idaho... which would apply. Anyway, i dont believe there are any laws in washington or idaho that protect for used cars. I bought my car with 62241, it now has 64458 and is out of commision. My high-tech warranty thing says crankshaft/camshaft adjuster sensor.... I called the dealership and they called me back and said thats what the problem was. So i told them to get their ass on the phone with this warranty company because they give them TONS of business and tell them to hook this one up. I was told that this coverage would cover this part and the O2 sensors, which were the major problems of the 2003 w8's. So im trying to get them on that one.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 15:24
The dealer i bought it from is called Dave Smith Motors. He is basically a dodge dealer... the largest in the world. But they have thousands and thousands of trade-ins a year. I dont believe they have a VW dealer. anyway, you can check them out at USautosales.com i believe. They are huge, they piss $3200 in the morning. I think im going to have to sell some body parts. Kinda weird how business works in this world.
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 16:24
I know it's frustrating, but it sounds like there is a potential for the high-tech part kicking in at least.
Dont' cut your kidney out just yet!
They may get a better idea when they identify the oil leak as well.
With the "belly pan", it is hard to tell where the actual leaks is - things drip onto the pan, and then find a hole to the outside.
Blue Spirit/ Black
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brokecollegestudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 16:26
so i just had dave smith motors, well a guy from there, call my VW dealership and talk to one of the mechanics. The mechanic said that he knew of the exact part and yes, it is an internally lubricated part. Thats what he told me, so then i told him, ive called the warranty people twice and they wont take it. Well, he is waiting for his superior tomorrow and they are both going to tackle it for me. Hopefully they can resolve the problem for me, instead of me trying to take on this warranty company myself. Anyway, pray for me and keep your fingers crossed (hahaha)
squish View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote squish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2008 at 21:52
sounds like you won this battle! good job. the deal with aftermarket warranties is, you get your service advisor to call the warraty company. let them handle it.
2005 V70 R
2007 2.0T 6MT
JMCXTY View Drop Down

Quote JMCXTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 00:24
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Jeez, good luck on all of this.
Does WA have generous consumer protection laws for used cars?

In MN we get (covered by the dealer):
Used vehicles with less than 36,000 miles at time of sale (mine was):
Provides coverage for 60 days or 2,500 miles, whichever occurs first.
ENGINE: lubricated parts; intake manifolds; engine block; cylinder heads...etc. Fairly extensive list TRANSMISSION, BRAKE SYTEMS, STEERING RACK, etc.

New Zealand similar laws on used cars, dealer pays on faults for certain amount of time and km.
Jamie

black 2002 W8 variant tip with sports pack
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 00:24
^ 2x on letting the SA handling it - I never spoke to, or met anyone from my warranty company.
They are definitely more versed in the ways of warranty companies.
Blue Spirit/ Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>