Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedW8 project....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EUROaddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 project....
    Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 01:00
hey guys...if you frequent the B5 boards on vortex or PW, you may have seen my thread there. problem is, all the 1.8T owners seem to "know" alot about the W8 . thanks god i found this!

anyways. i am looking for some imput on a FI project i want to do on the W8. i don't have one of these beauties yet, so i can't just take it apart to find my answers.

car will be a Variant 6MT

the plan so far:
-twin screw S/C
-stand alone tuning with a GIAC background
-i believe we have confirmed that the W8 ans S4 share a clutch, so that should be upgradeable
-i don't know much about urgrading the brakes
-if anyone has a bentley manual, can you scan the image of the intake manifold?

i know there is NO room under the hood

i know that buying a S4 would be the better option

i don't care ^^^^^^^

thanks for your input.
new kid on the block
EUROaddiction View Drop Down

Quote EUROaddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 01:04
forgot to mention that w12 pistons/rods were suggested.
same bore/stroke, and it lowers the compression to 9.0:1
new kid on the block
cmehta View Drop Down

Quote cmehta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 05:33
You are a brave soul. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will doubt you along the way, so I won't bother with that...I will caution you, however, that if you blow-up that W8 motor, you are going to be looking at somewhere between 7-15 grand for a new one...don't count on VW's powertrain coverage to bail you out :)

Lowering the compression ratio would be a good idea as I have read that the cylinder walls are very close together...which brings me to my next question: VW techs aren't allowed to take this engine apart, they simply replace them...how do you propose to rebuild it???

God Speed, sir...you will surely need it.

-Chris
2003 Passat W8 Sport Tip
Indigo Blue Pearl/Parchment
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 14:05
Wouldn't you be better off getting V70R and modding it?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 18:02
dude go for it! its not that it cant be done its just that no one has the cash for it. a super charger would be so cool sounding. i was thinking like a electric blower with only like 3psi but i think thats still pushing it with our 10.8.1 comp ratio. so the w12 has the same size pistons and con rods.. good to know.    dont get a v70r if its the old one the new one is killer. the old one 2000 and lower, it has an prob when one tire wears more than the others, it wears out the awd system. weak. i think we need some serious mods for our cars its very unfortunate that there is not one company that is willing to tweak the w8 this needs to be done. damn at least swaybars... thats like one of the most basic mods. as for the brakes you will have to buy some thing like disks from brembo gt kit then get some one with a cnc lathe and cut some hats to fit the disk then costom make the caliper mount. its a job and a half but would be super sick if we could get a group buy ... i know people have tried to do this .. and have not had any luck because of the money factor.                                           scotts wish list...   1.carbonio intake for w8... "will never happen"
          2.swaybars!!!!!!!!!!!!! need cnc barbender.
          3.turbo kit..... that would cost alot..but so worth it.
          4.rollcage. do able.
          5.progressive rate springs suck.i want linear damit!!but i cant find any.. lame
          6.the brakes.

Edited by scottbob0 - 25-Dec-2006 at 00:26
W8 6speed 03 Maus

Quote EUROaddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2006 at 19:36
thanks for the support guys!

i was talking to my buddy about sleeving the block. anyone know the specifics of sleeving it? is the block aluminum or iron like the VR? also, how thick are the sleeves and does one bore out the chambers and them fill that space with the sleeves?

on the brakes: i want to talk to ecs about milling some custom rotor hats since all the BBKs share rotors, just different hats. does the W8 share any rear brake parts with any other models? and how good are the lucas calipers?

thanks. more to come.

BTW: i have seen a pic of the W8 intake mani, so cross that part off the list. depending on weldability, i might cut off the flanges and use them on a custom manifold.

Edited by EUROaddiction - 25-Dec-2006 at 01:37
new kid on the block
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 02:37
If you want an intake, find 24 other W8 owners willing to front a down payment and talk to Matrix Integrated.
They did the R&D, and produced a prototype.
Actually, find 23 other W8 owners - I'm willing.
The Lucas HP-2 calipers are good. The problem is that they are aluminum and conduct heat very rapidly from the pads to the fluid. Consider PBR Axxis Ultimate pads, Motul fluid, and SS brakelines.
The low compression W12 parts you speak of are from the Bentley twin turbo W12 - not exactly common or cheap parts.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 25-Dec-2006 at 08:40
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 02:46
Wait a minute: The W12 pistons/rods are the same bore/ stroke AND lower the compression?
Am I missing something here?
Blue Spirit/ Black

Quote EUROaddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by BlueSteW8

Wait a minute: The W12 pistons/rods are the same bore/ stroke AND lower the compression?
Am I missing something here?

something in the design of the head of the piston i think. you are right about how expensive the bentley parts would be. it may be cheaper and better to get custom ones made, especially getting the block sleeved.
new kid on the block
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 15:23
I'm guessing you must be .:R18T from PW?
I am stewartglx4motion from there.
Blue Spirit/ Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>