The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedW8 nightmare (aka Do your RESEARCH!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 nightmare (aka Do your RESEARCH!)
    Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 12:32
I purchased a six-speed manual W8 wagon and have had nothing but problems. Cam adjuster, 02 sensors, CV boots, etc...the list is long and painful to think about. The service costs are insane.

Sure, the W8 is a beautiful, high performance machine, but in the end, I have found it to be an over-engineered money pit. VW should be held accountable for putting this problem-prone machine in the marketplace.

Driving the car is like swimming with great white sharks - thrilling, but deadly on the wallet. I finally wised up and am selling the car. If someone were to ask me who the W8 is for, I would reply: anybody with money to burn.

Good luck!
jtaylor42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 12:45
Sorry you have had so many problems. Have all the repairs been out of pocket? While I havent found the W8 to be more prone to problems I definintely have found it much more expensive to repair those problems. Thats why it is suggested that all W8 owners have an extended warranty. But I would suggest that for any high-end car as the repairs generally go hand-in-hand with the higher price tag of the vehicle.
OverTheW8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 12:51
Not everything was paid out of pocket...and, yes, extended warranty is a must with this car.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 13:17
Sorry to hear. I've had a few problems here and there, but nothing disastrous. (Tranny o-ring leak, blown coil pack, valve cover gaskets) It seems to be a hit-or-miss thing when it comes to ownership of the W8...you either are stuck fixing it all the time or not at all.

Best of luck to you.
MikestroW8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 15:37
I'm not sure the reason for the generalization that all W8's are problem prone just from your own personal experience. You should of bought an extended warranty....
2003 Black Tip W8 Sedan
ben View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 18:23
Alas, getting the timing & lambda sensors and stuff repaired is tough business - especially if you didn't know about risks beforehand

My warranty just ended last week and I'm still going to keep the car. I think that if I can keep it running several years, I'm prepared to get the cam tensioners & O2 sensors replaced once, paying it all myself. There may be thousands euros repair bill(s) ahead, but I'm going to cry and get my W8 fixed in that case.

I guess that expensive cars may have expensive problems as well. I just had a chat with an elderly man who owns a 4 years old BMW. He told me that the car's engine was replaced a couple of years ago due to disastrous breakdown of the turbocharger (it had 2 turbos). So, it may not comfort anybody who's just been quoted a big repair bill, but it seems W8 owners are not the only ones who are experiencing painful things...
* W8 Variant -02 / 341000 kms
MRAJB View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 20:03
Sorry to here about your problems. I was wondering when and where you purchased your wagon? I was looking for one for sometime, and I'm wondering if I had looked at yours.

-AJ
Looking to buy a W8 Wagon 6-Speed to haul grocceries...And I finally found one on 2-16-2008
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by OverTheW8

Driving the car is like swimming with great white sharks - thrilling, but deadly on the wallet.

It's a limited edition 8-cylinder German sedan... what did we expect?

I know a lot of us comment on costly repairs, but I can't think of any comparable cars that would be less expensive. ...any BMW or Merc. will be more expensive. Audi S4 can't be cheap. I've heard much worse about Saabs and Volvos. This car is not in the same class as an Accord or Camry . It's perhaps comparable to some high end Subarus, but they're not exactly a bastion of quality (and I'm still waiting for a Subaru I find visually appealing ).   (I've been waiting for a chance to use the "clown".)

That said, an extended warranty is still a good idea. Though I've decided to go without one. Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to pull the engine on this beast myself. (Though knock on wood that it's not too soon!)

Edited by rustybronco - 24-Mar-2008 at 02:09
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2008 at 21:02
Originally posted by rustybronco

Originally posted by OverTheW8

Driving the car is like swimming with great white sharks - thrilling, but deadly on the wallet.

It's a limited edition 8-cylinder German sedan... what did we expect?

I know a lot of us comment on costly repairs, but I can't think of any comparable cars that would be less expensive. ...any BMW or Merc. will be more expensive. Audi S4 can't be cheap. I've heard much worse about Saabs and Volvos. This car is not in the same class as an Accord or Camry . It's perhaps comparable to some high end Subarus, but they're not exactly a bastion of quality (and I'm still waiting for a Subaru I find visually appealing ).   (I've been waiting for a chance to use the "clown".)

That said, an extended warranty is still a good idea. Though I've decided to go without one. Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to pull the engine on this beast myself. (Though knock on wood that it's not too soon!)

good idea about taking the engine out by yourself call me if you need any help removing it I help you that way I learn.
OverTheW8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 01:28
What did I expect? How about not taking the car back for service and maintenance 14 times in less than two years? It became a running joke at work - where many of my co-workers do have Audis, Beemers, Mercedes, etc. The bottom line is that this car sux.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>