The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > The W8 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

Forum LockedW8 nightmare (aka Do your RESEARCH!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: W8 nightmare (aka Do your RESEARCH!)
    Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 16:21
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

If VW had spent another 6 months of development on the W8 they would have saved a fortune on warranty claims, and could have sold more of them.
Well, I agree that the more development time could have shaken out a few of the bugs. But that said, there will always be problems with any car and no reasonable amount of development/test time that will find every issue. Many of the issues are found once a large portion of cars are on the road being driven by varying types of drivers.

It seems that there are only about three or four common issues with the W8 that I would consider a serious (read: expensive) problems. And some of those problems would be easy to fix if the motor wasn't shoe-horned into the bay. I think this is where some of the big repair bills come from, having to pull the motor. There really isn't any way around the tight engine bay when you put a much larger engine in a place originally designed for a 4 and 6-cylinder motor. In fact I would argue that even if the 4.2 V8 was used, you would still run into a situation where the motor would need to be pulled in order to fix a small issue.

I love my car more the more I drive it, and fortunately, so does my wife (the primary driver). She's made a comment or two about how glad she is that we got the VW instead of one of the SUVs we had looked at. I haven't had any serious problems yet, but I'm still under 15k miles so time will tell. Obviously as the factory warranty draws to an end I'm going to get an extended warranty just for peace of mind.

I could understand being frustrated with a problematic car if it wasn't rewarding to drive. I can't imagine owning something like a Ford Taurus and having similar problems and having a lousy driving experience at the same time. At least when the W8 (or my Saab) is running, it's a blast to drive. I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of reliability for a car with some decent driving characteristics.
- Craig
2004 W8 Variant, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, and 1978 Alfa Romeo Sport Sedan
dubya_eight View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 16:25
I feel like maybe the W8 was the additional 6 months of development time that VW needed. As after the 8 came the Bentley W12(boosted,)VW W12 (not boosted,) Bugatti W16 (obviously boosted.) Wonder what the failure rates are on those compared to ours? I know that I don't run with the right crowd that drive any of those machines to ask. By this point I am sure that VAG has sold WAY more Conti GT's, Flying Spurs and GTC's than W8's so I suspect the bugs are worked out of the W engines.

VW sold the W8 (at least in the States) as a stop gap in the line-up for the void between the V6 Passat and the Phaeton. People here didn't buy either of them. Not for a lack of engineering, but because they didn't and still don't see VW as a purveyor of higher end cars. The weaker dollar made them an even harder sell. Most people here saw it as an overpriced Accord/Camry competitor. When what it actually was (and not marketed well IMO) was the lowest cost 8 cylinder German sedan available in the US. I think that the W8 is an awesome feat of engineering and packaging for what it is.

I think that the new grand plan for VWoA is sound, but doubt they will reach they volume targets they are looking for. IMO they need to get back to more basic cars like they are planning and only importing a few real "German" cars. So long as Piëch is pulling the strings in the background though, that may never happen. Piëch can either be the savior or the destroyer of VAG.

As with any car- ESPECIALLY USED- it's buyer beware and informed. I am sorry that you got a very bad example, but prior to any purchase you should always research potential risks and costs.

[/rant]
------------------------------
2003 W8
Tip
Blue Spirit / Black
------------------------------
R32Viper View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 20:47
Originally posted by MP33Dave

I love mine!!! No problems other then all the gas I put in it. But all in all...it's worth the $$, esp when I stomp on the gas...zoom zoom.

LOL this is not a mazda lol.
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 21:43
Originally posted by R32Viper

Originally posted by MP33Dave

I love mine!!! No problems other then all the gas I put in it. But all in all...it's worth the $$, esp when I stomp on the gas...zoom zoom.

LOL this is not a mazda lol.

I was just going to say that! You beat me to it!

Did we scare off overthew8?
JimmyPringles View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 23:59
Originally posted by dubya_eight

I feel like maybe the W8 was the additional 6 months of development time that VW needed. As after the 8 came the Bentley W12(boosted,)VW W12 (not boosted,) Bugatti W16 (obviously boosted.) Wonder what the failure rates are on those compared to ours? I know that I don't run with the right crowd that drive any of those machines to ask. By this point I am sure that VAG has sold WAY more Conti GT's, Flying Spurs and GTC's than W8's so I suspect the bugs are worked out of the W engines.

VW sold the W8 (at least in the States) as a stop gap in the line-up for the void between the V6 Passat and the Phaeton. People here didn't buy either of them. Not for a lack of engineering, but because they didn't and still don't see VW as a purveyor of higher end cars. The weaker dollar made them an even harder sell. Most people here saw it as an overpriced Accord/Camry competitor. When what it actually was (and not marketed well IMO) was the lowest cost 8 cylinder German sedan available in the US. I think that the W8 is an awesome feat of engineering and packaging for what it is.

As with any car- ESPECIALLY USED- it's buyer beware and informed. I am sorry that you got a very bad example, but prior to any purchase you should always research potential risks and costs.
[/rant]

Exactly my thoughts. Don't know if the OP is 1st owner, or picked theirs up used, but unless you have a thorough history/inspection, etc. you can never be too sure if the previous owner was mindful, and tedious with maintenace prior to your purchase(not saying that our cars obviously seem to have some inherent problems).

As far as the development, our cars were the "developement" to another means for the present, and possibly something to come in the future. For most major auto manufacturers, sometimes what may be precieved by the public as failure, is a step in development to somthing else.

Edited by JimmyPringles - 04-Apr-2008 at 06:00
BlueSteW8 View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 07:48
I was picky when I bought mine, but in retrospect, it looks like the original owner(s) followed the book for OCIs.
The 5,000 mile, 10,000 mile, 20,000 mile and 30,000 mile services were all recorded in the maintenance section of the manual (the only part of tha manual I got with the car...)when performed.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 04-Apr-2008 at 21:58
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 15:48
I think we all agree that YOUR car was a lemmon or your dealership is very incompetant. From your info it's hard to tell which is more the truth.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 21:03
Originally posted by B5crazy

I think we all agree that YOUR car was a lemmon or your dealership is very incompetant. From your info it's hard to tell which is more the truth.

Are you sure it was the dealer that was incompetent?
Trevorswaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 13:05
Seem to have started off an avalanche of replies.

Craig said 'I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of reliability for a car with some decent driving characteristics' but that was really the point I was trying to make. We shouldn't have to sacrifice anything.   In the UK this car was around GBP32,000 new - that's over $60,000 at today's exchange rate - and at that price level we should not be assisting VW in their development work at our time effort and expense.

If only we could have German engineering with Japanese reliability on electronics.....but then I suppose we wouldn't have the fun of talking to each other on the forum.
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2008 at 13:47
Originally posted by Trevorswaine

If only we could have German engineering with Japanese reliability on electronics.....but then I suppose we wouldn't have the fun of talking to each other on the forum.

Owning/maintaining a W8 has turned into a hobby/interest for me ...as it seems to have for many of us!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>