The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

the head lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Poster
Super Poster

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BlueSteW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the head lights
    Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 22:35
I think the autolevel just keeps the headlights from "bouncing" as the car hits bumps and dips. It is mechanically linked to the front control arms(?)
It doesn't make sense that the euroswitch and/or disabling DRL's would affect that function.
They do the "self alignment ritual" on start up - they dip, and then come back up to normal height. Freaked out the wife the first time she drove it.

Edited by BlueSteW8 - 06-Jan-2007 at 04:36
2003 W8 Tip Limousine - locked in sports mode
GIAC pump/stock/ race files
Blue Spirit/ Black
Stymie View Drop Down

Quote Stymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by B5crazy

Do any of you have people flashing their headlights at you all the time. I had OEM HIDs on my B5 and very rarely did I get flashed. Now just about every night going home I get 1 or 2 flashes. I'm starting to believe that my lights are aligned too high. I was wondering if removing the 173 relay and adding a euroswitch would cause this problem. I know that this mod does effect the auto height adjusters for the lights somewhat as they only move when you first start the car.

Anyone else?

B5crazy, I get flashed a couple of times every night with the stock setup. Relay 173 in place, Factory light switch. I think it's due to the brightness of the HID lights themselves.

I always return the favor.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 20:20
Good to know but I just don't understand why it was not a problem with the OEM HIDs on my B5. Are the W8's higher *K?
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
W8inDE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote W8inDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 21:20
Removing Relay 173 does not effect the "auto-level." Turn on your headlights then start the car. You will see them adjust...I promise.

The euro switch will not effect the "auto-level" either. Again, turn on the headlights then start the car.

The lights will keep adjusting (dip down then up) in either case. The lights only "adjust" down then up when the car is started, not when the headlights are activated.

For further discussion, see VW4EVERGUY's posts here:
Euro switch on W8?? -P

I was a doubter once, too.

Edited by W8inDE - 08-Jan-2007 at 03:29
2002 VW W8 4.0L 4Motion Tiptronic Sedan.
Currently in Del-a-where, soon to be in Portland, OR
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 23:13
Well, actually I started that thread. I just wasn't sure it the levelers continued to work while you were driving the car. It's obvious in a garage when you first turn them on.

I may get them checked at the dealer anyway just to see how close they are to spec.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 10:15
I never had people flash me when I have the lights on (and I pulled the 173). Now, when I leave my high beams on, then yes, I'll get some blinded people flashing me...
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
scottbob0 View Drop Down

Quote scottbob0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 20:58
the freaking high beams on this car are nuts.. the hid's have good vis. but damn u hit the high beam and its like day time.
W8 6speed 03 Maus
SlimW8 View Drop Down

Quote SlimW8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 14:12
Hi All,
Thanks scottbob for the instructs and pics. I had a bulb go bad and did this procedure yesterday and although it does really suck to go through all this just to change a bulb, it really isn't that difficult. I just wanted to add a few things that might be helpful.

1. A "dumpy" screwdriver is handy for the 2 Dzus fasteners on the belly. (if you don't jack the car.) A 1/4 in. ratchet with torx sockets work great for the wheel well screws.(no need to turn wheels) Use the same handy ratchet with long extensions for the deep-set screws. On the wheel well screws, the 2 screws that go into the fender (straight up) have wider threads, so don't mix them.

2. To remove the grill completely, the little hood release handle must be removed. There is a little clip that flips up, and then the handle "fork" can be spread apart to remove it from the pin. I had to use a needlenose pliers as a spreader since I didn't have an extra wide screwdriver.

3. Once the 2 screws are removed from the top of the grill, use your fingers to pry from the front and back of the grill. There is one clip on the top middle, 4 on the bottom, and one on each side(these are more like a guide). Undo the top center one first, then the bottoms. Pull as straight up as possible, and once a clip pops out, try not to let it go back in because they go back in very easily.

4. Mark the plastic bracket that the bumper attaches to BEFORE undoing the screws. Use a grease pencil or marker. You can also mark the screws on the headlights. This makes sure everything goes back where it should.

5. The bulbs are keyed, so they only go in one way.

6. The wires on the side marker lamps have plenty of slack, so they really don't need to be removed.

I was by myself and it took me about 4 hours to do both headlights, mostly because I didn't know what I was doing and I took my time. I think I could probably do it in under 2 hours now that I know what to do.

I ordered my bulbs from PlasmaGarage.com.   http://plasmagarage.com/XENON-bulbs.html
It was $129.00 for the pair (5000k) and FREE next day shipping by USPS. 6 and 8000k bulbs are a little higher.

Peace.

Edited by SlimW8 - 01-Feb-2007 at 20:17
2003 W8 Sedan
Silverstone Gray/Gray
Sport Pkg. (6SP,17"BBS,Susp.)
fitzski View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote fitzski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:04
Originally posted by B5crazy

I just wasn't sure it the levelers continued to work while you were driving the car. It's obvious in a garage when you first turn them on.

I may get them checked at the dealer anyway just to see how close they are to spec.

That's an interesting question... I'm not sure if they get their setting at start-up and then that is it, or if they continuously adjust - say if you drop off your two back-seat passengers without turning off and re-starting the car.

I did find this quote:
The VW system is a "Static" Level system. The function of this is to keep the headlights aligned based on the load placed int he vehicle. It takes about 2-3 Seconds for the headlight to respond to changes in load and level the lights.

I don't find that people flash their lights at me very much. In fact, I would say my lights are probably aimed a bit low - driving on the rural roads around home at night is a bit unsettling if I can't use my hi-beams (i.e. if there is an oncoming vehicle).

I also find the fog lights *completely* useless.
2003 Passat W8 Variant
(Pacific Blue, Tan, 6sp)
craig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 12:41
I think I've seen my re-level when I drive into my driveway. (Why shovel with 4-motion :-)

Occasionally I get flashed after I pass somebody.

The B6 with the optional directional headlights is hilarious at startup - up, down, and then side-to-side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>