The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Do It Yourself Guides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

the head lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the head lights
    Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 09:13
I've heard that the higher the degree temp. for the bulbs the more blueish-purple they become.. does anyone know what the degree temp in the Acura TL's are burning at??? I love the color they burn at...
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 15:50
Yup and the higher the temp the worse the illumination quality. I read somewhere that 5200k is about the optimum.

The mid day sun is reportedly 5500k

The Acura uses standard DS2 lamps = 4300k.

As for temperature here is a little guide

HID 3500k = 3200 Lumen = Yellowish
HID 4300k = 3200 Lumen = White
HID 6000K = 2800 Lumen = Bluer
HID 8000k = 2500 Lumen = Blue

Edited by Garfield - 06-Feb-2007 at 21:53
sledgeharvy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sledgeharvy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 22:10
Huh!!. Thanks Garfield.. hey when you all turn you the High beams on.. the HID's are supposed to get brighter and the High Beam Halogen lights too right!!???... the reason why I ask is because the HID on the left gets brighter but the one on the right stays the same... I think something is wrong with my Headlamp assembly huh,.. damn it.. now another wrong..!!.. First my engine then my battery now my Headlights.. time to start contemplating a new car again.. ha ha..
Garfield View Drop Down

Quote Garfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 03:43
Sounds like you're having a bad spell for sure,

Your assesment is correct on all counts, it is a mask inside the headlight that moves to give the appearence of 'high beam' so the expensive tubes are OK if they are both lit. When you go to high beam the plate is supposed to move out of the way making the light appear brighter.

Hard to explain ....

And if it helps you feel better since I got the car I have fixed the A/C cost over 750 ($1400 or so) for a stupid 30 sensor but required dismantling half the car, fixed a failed coil pack 200 again 20 part and a couple of hours pulling the outer manifold off with a 40 gasket needed to do so!!, waiting for the third thing now ..

You may be able to DIY the fix if you are up to pulling the front bumper etc
DrJay View Drop Down

Quote DrJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2009 at 19:21
Thank you so much! Spent about 1 hour trying to get this job done before searching out this thread. Job is as good as done now.
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 14:15
Thanks for this guide. Job completed in less than one hour!
Now to wait for dark to see if it helps any.

The old bulbs did appear different. The little round center section of the bulb was white and cloudy. Hopefully that means it was shot.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 16:02
Yup, the cloudy bulb usually means the bulb is on its way out. I replaced four HID bulbs on my other car after one went purple and, being an anal retentive, wanted to make sure all four headlamps were the same colour :D
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
jimhappy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jimhappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2010 at 23:06
Just got back from highway night ride. Lights are not much better. They might be a little brighter, but now the alignment out of whack. And still way too dim to go 180mph!
I must need ballasts. Do I need to pull the headlights out again to remove the ballast? Where should I get them, and is there anything else i should try? Cleaning the reflector? Cleaning the inner lens?
RobG View Drop Down

Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 05:57
have you realigned them since changing the bulbs? I really need to get mine realigned, as currently the dipped beam light drops off about a car length off the front end, and hi beam seems to light the way to the moon. Just havent had time to get it in the garage to get the levels reset with vagcom.
B5crazy View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote B5crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2010 at 09:18
I've always gone to the dealership to get my headlights aligned. IIRC the gas tank should be full when aligning the headlights.
2004 W8 Variant 6MT Pacific Blue/Grey
1992 Cabriolet
2012 Golf R 4dr CW

http://mysite.verizon.net/b5crazy/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>