Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Mechanics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

P0011 code talk/advice thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bigmennie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P0011 code talk/advice thread
    Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 18:21
Funny cars these w8's i hope mine never throws up a engine code had mine nearly 4 months and all is well at the moment mind you only done a 1,000 miles in it so far anyway haope your car is ok and should be fine.

Jason
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 18:39
If the car is running fine then I would be inclined not to run a flush as it can dislodge sludge which then clogs elsewhere. I'm pretty sure thats what caused the demise of engine #3 in mine. Hopefully in your case it's been a historical code and given the engine light hasn't come on then hopefully it's a blip
allaheadfull View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote allaheadfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 20:46
thanks dmc, getting the code cleared tomorrow, when they fix the aircon. How long does the poly-v belt last for, the one that drives the alternator etc...
2002 W8 Silver 6 Speed Manual
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 21:53
I'd second the idea of going for a drive and giving the car the beans a few times to get the engine up to its maximum revs. I've always felt that the cam phaser problems arise because if you drive the car sensibly, the revs rarely get much above 3,500 which means the camshafts don't get adjusted much and the phasers clog up.

When I bought my W8, there was a P0011 warning marked as "intermittent" (ie. the fault had occurred some time in the past but wasn't present at the time of the scan). Since then, I haven't had any problems with the engine over 11,000 miles.

PS. Whereabouts in London are you? I've got a vag-com if you want to check codes etc...
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
dmcdmc View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote dmcdmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2011 at 00:04
V belt lasts as long as you want it to TBH. As long as it's not worn and is still charging your alternator then it's fine. It doesn't drive anything essential so if it did break you won;t do any damage to the engine. Worth changing if you don't know when it was last done, but if you look at the tensioner and it looks quite fresh then I'd say it's been done in the recent past
custommediasystems View Drop Down

Quote custommediasystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2011 at 21:17
Hello all. I am a newbie to this forum, but a long-time VW owner. I've had my '03 W8 Sport for a little over 4 years now, and just recently had my ABS and engine lights come on simultaneously. The ABS light is from a Wheel Speed Sensor fault, which is a non-issue because I can repair that myself...

But, the VAG shows the P0011 - 35-10 code on the engine. I've been reading through this forum regarding the codes and I am not afraid to say that I am a bit freaked at the possibility of having to get major work done on the car. It is no longer under warranty with just 71,000 miles on it.

I'm looking for some personal advice, and most importantly, real-world costs on having the repairs done.

Thanks to all who reply.
Malcolm Tucker View Drop Down

Quote Malcolm Tucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2011 at 00:59
This is probably the best place to start: http://w8forum.dk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1196&title=found-camshaft-adjuster-fix

Edited by SirRangeALot - 25-Jun-2011 at 01:41
"I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding"
yesimalex View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote yesimalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2011 at 01:07
Just going to leave this here as I got my first official code today.
Dual Magnaflows and Level 10 bullet proof TC
Turbo DIY
You just got burnt by a wagon
with two car seats in the back....
w8newzealand View Drop Down

Quote w8newzealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2011 at 14:06
Owned the car just over a month. Was running really well. Started running slightly rough for a few seconds after a cold start. After sitting for two days there was a loud clunking / rattling after cold start for about 10 seconds that went away. Today after start was a more pronounced rough idle and seemed to be down on power, not had the CEL light though. I took it straight to VW/Audi mechanic and have asked for a full service (including spark plugs, air filter etc) and for them to look into the rough running.

Sound like a P0011 code?

Any other possible causes anyone could think of? When the clanking happened after start i thought it may be the timing chain tensioner. Have read though (in the forum), that the clanking happens with the cam adjuster problem too.

cheers

nukefission View Drop Down

Quote nukefission Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2013 at 02:28
I've recently become afflicted with P0011. 2003 Wagon bought with 59k miles a few years ago. A week ago the code showed up at 102k miles. Rough idle and herky-jerky off-idle, but smooth cruising otherwise. If left unchecked, more codes will pile on associated with misfires, sometimes making the MIL blink.

Synthetic oil used since I've owned it. Oil is fairly fresh and appears clean. Added Seafoam and performed electroshock therapy on all solenoids. The offending solenoid (bank 1 intake side) definitely sounds different than the others do when performing the procedure - it sounds like it's not traveling as far and doesn't have as satisfying a "click" when voltage is applied (both when fully extending and retracting).

This is not proving to be a quick fix in my case. I've done electroshock therapy + code clearing twice so far, a couple days apart. Afterwards the problem will go away for a bit and return intermittently, but eventually come back and persist. I plan to do it a few more times over the next week to see if whatever's in the solenoid can be dislodged over time, assuming the solenoid itself is not failing (does that happen?).

Failing that, I take it the only option is to pull the motor and swap the solenoids. I am a competent mechanic and am confident in my ability to do it, my only concern is the amount of time it will take (this car is our only family hauler) and whether or not I'll need additional special tools - still need to research that in the Bentley manual. Is it true that the solenoids themselves cannot be pulled or tweaked in any way simply by removing the valve covers?
-Victor
2003 Passat W8 Wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25262728>