The W8 forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Problems, Tips and Tricks About the W8 > Off-Topic Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shoutbox  Your message
You must log in to shout!

a little fun in the mud

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jeffsu350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a little fun in the mud
    Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 22:32
Myself and 7 others have built a "Mini Baja" vehicle to compete in SAE's Mini Baja east competition.

Thought you guys would like to see it in action.

The car has to use a 10 hp briggs and straton engine, and was clocked at 31 mph today.

against the previous years car

just having fun

SirRangeALot View Drop Down

Quote SirRangeALot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 23:07
That's freakin' awesome! That would be a blast to drive!
Get a wagon. Bitches love wagons.
jtaylor42 View Drop Down

Quote jtaylor42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 18:04
Wow that is sooooooo cool. I would LOVE to drive one of those. How much did it cost you to build?
VWAffe View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote VWAffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 00:19
Nice pix... I came this close to joining the Baja team when I was an ME student at Purdue. Are you affiliated with a university team?
'03 W8 Sedan 6MT     ..."it goes to 11!"
'02 V6 Wagon 4Mo 5MT (Swap In Work)     ...both black on black w/ limo tint
'14 JSW TDI 6MT
t0kie View Drop Down

Quote t0kie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 13:39
Wow, that's so cool. I have only the mini version of that (1/8 scale nitro powered remote control :) )
MP33Dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MP33Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 20:40
That looks awesome...good times!!!
04/6MT/W8
rustybronco View Drop Down
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote rustybronco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2008 at 21:40
Very cool indeed. When's the competition?
jeffsu350 View Drop Down

Quote jeffsu350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2008 at 01:14
I am currently at bucknell, it is a university only competition.

The car technically cost us around $2500, but that is with a lot of donated parts and reusing a lot of major components such as the motor, CVT and transmission.

If we were to build the car from scratch and pay for labor and other various parts we just have lying around it would probably be close to 10k after everything. If you could do the labor yourself and had access to a machine shop it would go down.

We really only reused the drivetrain, everything else is redesigned and rebuilt. The pictures don't show the flotation that we designed. We are competing in the Mini Baja east competition, which means we have to navigate a lake that is 6 or so feet deep. We use dock foam and fiberglass to protect it to float the entire car on water.

I will post pics after the competition. The competition is on may 1st. I am really excited, this years car is faster and better in almost every way compared to last years.
 Post Reply Post Reply